Too much Prime?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys, I recently upgraded my 20 gallon to a 55 gallon planted, and was given 4 small discus. 8) I don't want their growth to be stunted, so my plan was to change 25%-30% of the water every 2-3 days. I use a Python for water changes, and I use Prime as my dechlor. I believe the Prime bottle advises adding enough to treat the whole tank when the new water is not premixed, such as when using a Python. I've been doing this. I'm about to do another water change tonight, and it just occurred to me to ask whether using so much Prime will have a cumulative effect when dosing for the whole tank and changing water 2-3 times per week. :? Any thoughts on this? These discus are very special to me. I've been wanting to keep them for a very long time, and I really don't want to do anything that would hurt them. TIA

Not sure whether the prime will build up and affect the fish or not.

But i don't think it's necessary to change your water that often for the discus.
I keep them and do a 25% each week and have seen good growth form my 4 so far.

I don't think the extra PWC's would do any harm mind, but it does remove any risk of over doing it on the chems

The Prime will cause no harm. I have changed water every other day for various reasons. I never saw a fish have a problem because of it. They love water changes no matter what kind of fish it is.

be careful with prime, it is quite potent.

add too much and it will cloud your water, it does with mine.

since then i have used a 1cc seringe to put exact measurment in the water before i add to aquarium.

Oh, great! Thanks for the advice. That makes me feel a lot better.
Esra, I'm sure I don't need to do that many water changes to keep my water clean, but I really want my discus to thrive. I love them! They aren't super high quality stock or anything, but I've been caring for them at the store I work at for 3 months and I've really gotten to know them. I was so psyched when my boss gave them to me! Anyway, I think my tank will take more work to keep clean than yours, because yours is much bigger. Plus, my tank is less than a week old, and I want to be on the safe side even though I moved over all the substrate and the canister filter from my 20 gallon. Normally I would never add discus to such a new setup, but for various reasons I had to take them when I did. The tank is pretty well stocked, although I'm not sure if I can resist adding the 6 silver hatchets that I can get for free!

Thanks again guys!

edit- Oh, I forgot: Esra, I was just curious how long you've had your discus, and if you have any pics.

Yeah i had had mine for about 3 weeks and have seen some good growth in them.

By all means do as many PWC's as you want, the fish love it and it does keep your tank looking great.

With so much care I'm sure they'll grow really well.

You should also talk to BrianNY on here who seems to know quite a bit about the Discus.

I have some pics here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/karlpmaher/sets/

I have several discus for over a year now. I do 50% water change per week. You get to know if your parameters are off based on the fish's behaviour.

FWIW I have done water changes on the discus tank after my move, every two days to be safe and added Prime each time with no issues at all. It has been 4 months since I moved. You'll be fine.

Yes, I definitely know about BrianNY being a discus breeder! He recommends growing them out in a bare bottom tank and not keeping them in a community, but for me that's not really an option for me, so I am going to do the best I can with frequent water changes. These discus needed a home, and I knew I was going to give them the best home I could, so I couldn't turn down the offer to take them.

SHIFT-unique: I will be careful with the Prime, but the directions on the label tell you to dose for the whole tank when not premixing the water, so I don't want to underdose, either. I've been doing a 50 gallon dose for a 55 gallon.

I always dose for the whole tank. I know that overdosing Prime even twice the amount will not harm the fish. Guilty of that myself. :)

Thanks, Anne. The water change is done, and they look nervous as usual, LOL.

How big were your discus when you got them, and how big are they now? I'm just wondering how quickly my own discus will grow. What do yours eat? I've been caring for mine for a few months now, and have yet to get them to accept any food besides frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, and mysis. They also eat freeze-dried bloodworms and live brine shrimp, but they completely turn their noses up at any flakes or pellets. Is this normal?

I've read your not supposed to give them tubiworms but besides that anything they like.

Mine will only eat frozen blood worms and the occasional frozen brine shrimp.

Mine looked nervous the first couple of days but are always the first to the front of the tank now to say hello. Especially when I'm taking photos. Such posers!

Mine were about 2-3 inches when i got mine.
After about 3 weeks i think there has been 1 1.5 inches growth.

Nice broad heads too!

Back
Top Bottom