Too Much Stress Coat & Stress Zyme?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HollieDahhrlinn

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey,
Me and my friends were cleaning out the tank,
but we both added stress coat and stress zyme to the water.
So we added like double the dose of slime coat, water conditioner, stress releaser etc. - the water went bluish greyish cloudy colour and has almost like a slime solution in the water - can it hurt my fish?
Or will it be alright?
Will it clear?
We did 3 water changes to remove the murky substance and my fish appear to be fine, but there are still like the slimy substances in the water.
Will my filter carbon like absorb the murkyness?
OR should i do something different?

Hollie x

That problem can happen when you use too much stress coat or zyme. They are not just water conditioners. They have other additives as well.
You can skim the surface with clean paper towels.
I would do water changes to get the levels back to normal.
Carbon in the filter should clear it in the long run, but you don't want it to get over saturated.
Put in new carbon after the PWC to keep it effective and get any residue.

Good Morning Jim,
Thanks for your reply - so far my tank is now crystal clear this morning, i cleaned it out last night. There is alittle bit of blueish slime on my rocks but my algae eater is enjoying sliding and sucking so...
My fish seem un-harmed and they are swimming around as normal and they arent acting wierd or anything :)
Thanks for your reply x

double the dose is fine. the foam that builds up on top usually goes away within a few days on it's own.

Thanks for your replies,
The foam went away after i added just un-treated water to 60% treated water,
It dissappeared the next day and my tank is now crystal.
Added 2 fish yesterday - currently have 1 albino paradise and 1 sucking loach,
Just added 2 Zebra Danios.

Thanks for your help x

I've had what appears to be an "oil slick" on the water surface when docing too much dechlorinator or too many ferts. I assume it's the same reason: oversaturation. Water changes is the solution!

Back
Top Bottom