Too much? Too Little? or Just right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How is my Stocking?

• Need More Fish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too Many Fish Already

• Ah...Just Right!

• Total voters

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
well i just added the last fish today that i plan to add to my 75 gallon...

i think it is just right, what do you think?

2 Angles: Pterophyllum scalare
2 Bolivian Rams: Microgeophagus altispinosa
2 German Blue Rams: Microgeophagus ramirezi
5 "Orange Flash" Cockatoo Cichlids: Apistogramma cacatuoides
7 Rummy-nosed Tetra: Hemigrammus rhodostomus
7 Cardinal Tetra: Paracheirodon axelrodi
4 Julii Cory: Corydoras julii
2 Rubbernose Pleco: Chaetostomus milesi
4 Oto: Otocinclus mariae

I think I currently have more fish in my 75g than that. Shouldn't be a problem. I will be interested in how the cockoo's do with the other Rams. I was hesitant about adding the Bolivians with my GBR's.

*I don't see any snails on the list. :(

While overall I think the choices of species and numbers selected are good, I would suggest adding another cory or two.

Jchillin said:
I think I currently have more fish in my 75g than that. Shouldn't be a problem. I will be interested in how the cockoo's do with the other Rams. I was hesitant about adding the Bolivians with my GBR's.
soo far they have gotten along good, bolivians ignore them, GBR are a little chassing and postering at first between them (GBR are a little larger then Apistos right now) luckly there introduction was soo followed by at addition of some new plants, i.e. new terretories had to be formed. they seem to be coexisting fine at the momment, (fingers and toes are crossed as well as all wood near by has been knocked on... :? )
*I don't see any snails on the list. :(
sorry, bunch of MTS, and a bunch of Ramshorms and (if the rams have not eaten them yet) some ghost shrimp and cherry shrimp :twisted:

img_722671_0_32e53f68a386fa35c605bd53478c3fc7.jpg

I think you are fine, but if you wanted a few more fish, you could add a few more otos. They do great in groups, and 6 would be a good number for a 75G. I have 6 in mine, and they do awsome.

Sounds good to me and with the addition of some more, plants if there is room, they could be even happier. To be honest I think the angels could cause the biggest problem if they are a pair.

fish_4_all said:
Sounds good to me and with the addition of some more, plants if there is room, they could be even happier. To be honest I think the angels could cause the biggest problem if they are a pair.
well they have acted like a pair for about a year now (but no spawning :cry: ) they have not caused any trouble yet, they go about minding there own business. sometimes the rams have to show them who is the bosses! LOL :twisted:

Looks good, but I did read an article recently in PFK that mentioned apistos do best in groups of 10-15, FWIW

coldmachineUK said:
I did read an article recently in PFK that mentioned apistos do best in groups of 10-15, FWIW
really...
1. what size tank? you would think that aggression during mating would be a problem...
2. what kind of m/f ratio would they suggest of 10-15 in one tank?
3. i supose there is not link to this article...i am currently trying to learn all i can on apistos :D

JDogg said:
coldmachineUK said:
I did read an article recently in PFK that mentioned apistos do best in groups of 10-15, FWIW
really...
1. what size tank? you would think that aggression during mating would be a problem...
2. what kind of m/f ratio would they suggest of 10-15 in one tank?
3. i supose there is not link to this article...i am currently trying to learn all i can on apistos :D

Hi there, I did try their website but it's in the print issue only, sorry. It's November 2006 issue.
Here is some info from the article:

"It is advisable to allocate around 50-70l./11-15 gal. for each pair. It is best to keep these fish in groups of 10-20 individuals because, when kept in pairs, they become extremely aggressive. For such a number of fish the tank should be as long as possible; optimal length 120-150cm/48-60". Provide pieces of driftwood as hiding places, which will become potential spawning sites. Dwarf cichlids look their best against a background of rich greenery, and are also very comfortable in well-planted conditions."

Earlier it mentions:

"The tank can be relatively shallow, about 30cm/12" height, but its length and width are important. It all depends on the number of males - the more there are, the longer the tank should be."

Later on, something about water params:

"Weekly water changes of 40-60% would not be excessive in this case. For these dwarf cichlids to show their true beauty, and be ready to spawn, provide soft and slightly acidic water....the water should be treated with peat extracts or filtered through peat."

Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom