Took the Plunge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr502go

Aquarium Advice Activist
. . . well, I didn't, but my new fish did!!

I got three Diamond Tetras, and a Bristlenose Pl*co to start out with.

I'll probably get some turqoise rainbows in the next few weeks. I wanna see how the water balances out.

I put the Bio-Spira in yesterday, and added fish today. So far so good.

Alli, Sweets, thanks for all your advice in my other threads. I can't tell you how invaluable the information was. I'm sure I'll have more questions later.

I'm pretty sure I'll end up with some Java ferns, and coupla Dwarf sword plants, not sure when though, I figured I'd let the water settle down, and let the fish get used to their surroundings.

Is it ok to used StressZyme??

Also, I saw a product called B-clear by Hagen, is it any good?? Ok to use?? What are the pros and cons?? Thanks again

Rob

P.S. I'm a lil intellectually challenged this eve, in my excitement I posted this in the wrong forum!! :roll:

Hope you get your Q's answered. Moving to the FW forum.

Cheers
Steve

I'd steer clear of the StressZyme and the "b clear"

It probably won't do any harm, but it won't really do any good either.

Basically, the only chemical you should add to your water is a dechlorinator (I use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals "Tap Water Conditioner"). Your water is probably going to be cloudy for a few days while the bacteria get situated, it's normal.

Isn't it exciting when you get your fish in there?! When I got my larger tank I was soooo stoked to get my guys in there!

Hi, Good luck on this new tank!

If you already added Bio-Spira, you will have no need to add the Stress-Zyme. The Bio-Spira has all the correct starter bacteria that you need. Your tank will be already cycled in 24 hours (I believe this is the correct length of time.) My Bio-Spira package says it makes aquariums safe overnight.

You will not need to go through all those water changes as your ammonia and nitrites spike because the bacteria will be breaking them down, and you will have a fully cycled tank tomorrow! Since you didn't add the fish until today, it will probably be ok by tomorrow (ammonia at 0). I would do an ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test tomorrow just to be sure. But I bet it will be fine -- that Bio-Spira is amazing stuff!

I don't know what b-clear is really. I can kinda guess what it is, but I've never used it, so have no advice there. But I would listen to Sweetsuvvyb and not use it!

Yeah, forget the Stresszyme and b-clear. Unneccessary stuff. Save your money for the things you need, like fish n plants *grin* I'm like sweets. The only thing I add to tank water is a dechlorinator/dechoraminator.

The Bio-Spira should be added immediately with the fish; I doubt there will be a prob, but keep a close eye on your water parameters this week, as An said, just to be sure. Actually, you didn't need to wait on the rainbows; they could have went in as well. Since you are waiting, make sure you QT the rainbows when you get them and water test after you add them to be sure nothing spikes.

You also really don't need to wait on the plants; you can add them now as well. I would QT or dip them just to be sure nothing sneaks in on em, even if your friend's tanks are fine. Better safe then sorry.

Thanks for the advice, again, I really appreciate it. I let the Bio-Spira sit 24hrs running in tank before adding fish is this ok?? That' s what LFS said I should do. Should I add some more Bio-Spira just to be sure??

Don't wanna freak out on ya, just wanna do it right, and minimized casualties

A little more Bio-Spira wouldn't hurt, but check your parameters first. If they are ok, don't worry bout it, and save the Bio-Spira to add with the rainbows *grin*

Btw, you DO realise we expect pics right? LOL

I think I can accomodate ya on the pics, I'll try and wait for the rainbows (will be a lil bit for them, I'm buying a new motorcycle soooo the $$$ thing you know how it goes)

How does one upload pics here anywho?? I have an avi of the poor lil ones that didn't make it. At least when they were still happy fishies. I like my new ones, but I really miss the other lil fellas, they had soo much personality. Sounds odd I know, but they really did, I'll have to send ya the avi, you'll see what I mean. :)

Doesn't sound odd to *us* at all....alli was comparing my goldfish to unruly teenagers in another thread, in fact!

Once your new fish get used to their new home, I'm sure their personalities will start to shine through!

If you have a jpg, I think you can upload it onto this site's server, when you reply or make a new thread.

Kewl, I'll have to get the ol dig cam out later on and get the pics up. Do you know what the size limit is??

Dunno if you can upload the .avi, but grab a screen shot or 2 so we can see.

I love checking out other peoples tanks...LOL I'm sort of a fish tank voyuer (sp). I wanna know how they set things up and what it looks like. I'm HORRIBLE at interior decorating; I steal all my ideas from other people. Same thing with my tanks *grin*

Not sure of the size limit; throw a post in the "site help" section; you should have an answer pretty quickly.

Hey Alli, here are the pics I promised, no laughing!!! j/k

Remember it's still work in process.

Will the lava rock help to bring up my ph?? Water is really acidic (like 6.0)

What effect does driftwood have on water, besides turning it brown hee hee??

PS. don't forget to maximize screen (F11) the pics are 1024x768

LOL The castle and the bridge are killin me! LOL I have to admit, all my decor is natural (driftwood n slate n gravel). Everyone keeps trying to convince me to buy a skull, but I just can't go there. Nice decorating too; is the one thing I have a major prob with. I don't have the eye for it.

The fish look great! And the pic of the plec is awesome. The driftwood you get for him may lower the Ph even more tho; hopefully someone will jump in with a suggestion here. Ph adjustment is not one of my forte's.

Thanks, I was particularly proud of the Plec Pic. I haven't done a lot of Macro photog in years, and never with a digital, so, I was really tickled about the way that one came out. The castle was not of my choosing originally, I just kind of left it :) hee hee. I used an old black pillow case that is folded over and held in place by the hob filter and the clamp on the heater for a background. Hopefully it will be better planted in the near future, I just put a Java fern in the right rear corner behind the castle. Needs to fill out some tho!!

100 kb
1000x1000 pixels
Oops didnt see the second page...
Gluck with your tank neways

Hey Neuve, thanks for replying, I appreciate the effort. Everyone here is sooo helpful. Hopefully I'll learn enough to someday be able to help someone else.

Alli, I've discovered my Tetras are a High-falootin bunch!! They will run right up to the tetra min flakes, and turn away. I dropped in some Tubifex, and Oh my gosh, there was a frenzy. I know CAN believe they are in the same family as Piranha!!! Geez Louise!!! I went to the fish store and asked what they fed them there, and they said kent sinking pellets. I bought some, as well as the tubifex, I gave em the tubifex first, I think they're full now. Anywho, how do I wean them onto flakes, I have a bunch of Tetramin that I don't want to go unused.

LOL buncha fussy buggers huh. I know what you mean tho; my angels get a real variety of foods, but I saw the lfs carried Omega One the other day. Its supposed to be great stuff, so I bought a container to add to their diet. Put it in, everyone swarmed over to it as they do anything which falls into the tank, sucked up the flakes n spit em right back out LOL I keep offering it to them; at this point most of them will eat it.

You can maybe just offer small amounts (maybe make that the first feeding of the day?), or don't feed em for a coupla days, then only feed em the tetramin. They won't starve (fish can go for about a week without food) but they will be hungry *grin*

As an aside, you may want to enter the plec pic in the Oct FW photo contest (check the community forum for the contest info).

I agree...none of my fishy pics have ever turned out...and besides that, I'm continually impressed with how durn cool everyones tank is...and how the heck does your 10gal look soooo much bigger than mine?

(maybe it's cause my durn fish are getting so big...argh!)

Back
Top Bottom