Top dwellers list?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey AA would you all be so kind as to list your favorite top dweller fish? Schoolers are fine as well as solitaries.

I like the African butterfly fish it's a unique fish and is pretty cool I want to own one soon

Almost all top dwellers are most likely to jump so a hood is a must for all species.

These are really good. I looked up the butterflyfish. That thing is wild! I was thinking of adding 5 dwarf gouramis to my 50 gallon community. Would that be to chaotic?

These are really good. I looked up the butterflyfish. That thing is wild! I was thinking of adding 5 dwarf gouramis to my 50 gallon community. Would that be to chaotic?

are you talking about adding the butterfly fish with the dwarf gourmis? if so, you're asking for problem.

but if you're talking about adding dwarf gouramis into your current community, then i would ask what your current stocking is. dwarf gourmis are peaceful and small, they may get bullied if you have somewhat aggressive fish.

huizheng1988 said:
are you talking about adding the butterfly fish with the dwarf gourmis? if so, you're asking for problem.

but if you're talking about adding dwarf gouramis into your current community, then i would ask what your current stocking is. dwarf gourmis are peaceful and small, they may get bullied if you have somewhat aggressive fish.

I have a couple rams. A school of Congo tetras and a school of boesmani rainbowfish.

I have a couple rams. A school of Congo tetras and a school of boesmani rainbowfish.

I think adding 1 gourami is fine. Im pretty sure a group will fight, unless inks 1 male and the rest females. Only problem is most gouramis at the store are male because they have the colors. If you added 1 and then a school of Cory cats it would look nicd

CharlieKlein said:
I think adding 1 gourami is fine. Im pretty sure a group will fight, unless inks 1 male and the rest females. Only problem is most gouramis at the store are male because they have the colors. If you added 1 and then a school of Cory cats it would look nicd

Yeah I really want more activity in my tank. There's a lot of empty space. Any other suggestions?

i see that you don't have many bottom dwellers, i would suggest adding some corys. i've always liked the way threadfin rainbows look as well. if you want movement, then i would add more to the school of fish you already have IF you don't want to experiment with other new fish.

also it's better if you can post a picture of your entire tank. sometimes the lack of activity is because of not that many fish. other times it's because the lack of decoration/aquascaping that makes the tank look less occupied. if you can post a picture(s), then we can start somewhere.

I gotta go take a pic when I get off of work in about an hour. There's a lot of driftwood cover. But to be honest i don't have that many fish either

Both Hatchetfish and Threadfin Rainbow fish would like the tank with the Jungle Val on the water surface. You don't have enough plant cover for more than 1 DG but you could do a DG and a Honey Gourami. Most of the time the DG will leave Honey's alone in a large enough tank. A Pearl Gourami is another good choice. I have a large school of threadfins and they are very active fish especially when you keep males and females. Also if you would add some moss to the DW the Threadfins will usually readily spawn in a planted tank. Also have you thought about maybe 3 Yo-yo Loaches for bottom movement. Those guys are a riot to watch and are quite active BUT if you do get any don't freak out the first time you see one laying on their side looking dead... they rest that way!

Might I suggest Marbled Hatchets. They are one of the smallest Hatchetfish and they are really colorful.

i agree on the threadfin rainbow OR the angelfish, but not both because angelfish will start to nip the long fins when they're matured. as for the bottom, some corys and loaches would do. clown loach is very popular but yo yo loach is not as shy. i would get at least 4-5 loaches of any kind. corys like to be in a school as well. with the plants you have, it's good to have some algae eaters. otos IMO are great because they're maintenance free since they munch of the algae on the plants(i've not fed my otos for months because they just eat of from my tank) or you can have some siamese algae eaters although they get territorial as they mature. What i typically do in my fish tank is to be as maintenance free as possible with the occasional topping the water and the feeding.

Threadfin rainbows are often kept with angels and nipping isn't a problem. For over a year I've kept 12 adult breeding angels with a school of 12 soon to be 24 threadfins. A lot depends on the tank size and if or how heavily it's planted. But that is true for keeping a lot of different species together successfully.

Back
Top Bottom