top dwelling community fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fireman731

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 28 gal tank stocked with 6 corys, a albino bristlenose pleco that's about 5", 3 neons and 5 black skirts. My plants (swords, java fern, anubias nana and water wisteria) aren't very tall and the top of the tank looks empty and boring. I would like to add a small school of fish that generally always stay at the top of the tank and would get along with my other fish and I am looking for ideas?

Also on another note, my tank is kinda in my front entry way, but the black skirts tend to run for the hills and hide when I walk up to the tank, I don't know if its because I took so long to add more that they are used to being alone and tend to shy or what. I was planning on adding another black skirt and a few more neons (like 3) and maybe a few top dwelling fish and calling it stocked.

Harlequin Rasboras are small, pretty, schoolers that like the top of the tank.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Marbled hatchet fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

you need more neons they like to have at least 6 in a school and more black skirts would carm them down a little
ollies and platies need harder water than tetras which like soft water and will also eat you plants

If your plants don't go all the way to the top, fish will feel vulnerable and not spend much time there. Marbled hatchets would be a good choice to use the top space, but I would recommend adding some floating plants like frogbit to make them more comfortable.

How would frogbit do with a HOB filter? I usually fill the tank where it doesn't pour in but just level to where it goes straight out across the top of the tank. I was thinking about adding another HOB and some cherry shrimp so I'll probably start letting the water fall more like a waterfall to have some kind of current for the shrimp to feed in?

I would add 5 more Neons and 1-2 more Black Skirts.

I am also considering adding frogbit to my tank and am wondering how it does in relatively dim lighting (17 watt T8). I have a larger gap between my HOB output and water level (about 1.5") and am wondering if that will work with frogbit.

Frogbit does fine in low lighting. I have mine under a t8 flourescent bulb and it's multiplying like crazy.

How does the water flow affect plants that grow on the top though does it need to waterfall down or can it go across the top level

If the HOB filter's outflow is water falling into the tank, it will push floating plants below the surface and they'll be swirling all through the water column. You want the water up higher so it won't do that.

I think Nannostomuseques is a pretty interesting top dweller.

I got frogbit and it didnt take off.
I read that it doesnt like:
Surface movement
being too close to the lights
too much light
Condensation

Mine died probably to all of those :(
Whats left of them ive got them outside now, hopefully they grow, they do seem to spawn new ones pretty quickly

Hmmm yah that sounds a lot like mine haha HOB with surface agitation and light ontop of tank with condensation

If the HOB filter's outflow is water falling into the tank, it will push floating plants below the surface and they'll be swirling all through the water column. You want the water up higher so it won't do that.

If your tank is covered and there's only a half inch or so of air between the water and lid, won't that significantly decrease the level of oxygen in the water?

If your tank is covered and there's only a half inch or so of air between the water and lid, won't that significantly decrease the level of oxygen in the water?

I dunno. This is what I've always done and it's never caused any problems. If your filter has decent turnover, that should oxygenate the water just fine without needing a loud splashing waterfall.
When that happens in my tanks, it's my indication that I need to top off my tanks.

Back
Top Bottom