top level stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomasm87

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 29 gallon that im letting setup. When i say "setup" i mean im letting the tank and stand set on the carpet to see if it stables itself. it rocks to much i heard if you let if sit it will eventually compresses the carpet then stabilize. Im giving it a week. But i have 4 peppered corys and 1 bristlenose pleco right now when the tank is ready i want 6 corys. I have the bottom level picked out need suggestions for the top and middle. I was considering Harlequin rosboras and cardinal tetras. i just want something active, colorful, and hardy. the top level fish ill add once the new tank is cycled. (im doing fish in cycle).

if i decide to go with the HR and CT how many of each can i keep. the tank will be planted.

The cardinals are hard to acclimate. Maybe 5 neon tetras and 5 harlequin rasboras?

Top level fish could be White Mountain Clouds and Marble Hatchets. Rasboras and Tetras are both midlevel fish. The Ram is a fish that would move between the midlevel and the bottom.

I h ave lambchop rasboras, sold to me as harliquins as they are very similar in shape/design/size it's not an uncommon mistake. They mostly stick to the top and are excellent fish. They are the most active fish in my tank. They even put my neons to shame. lol.

Other than the corys and pleco are you planning to put anything else in the tank?

I would suggest 7 of each and perhaps a dwarf gourami. What sort of filtration are you running?

marble hatchets would be nice. a school of at least 6. they'll add a nice touch to the tank with floating plants too.

I thought about a groumai but I forgot to mention that I have 6 red cherry shrimp. So they may be eaten. Thats all I was planning on adding. As for filtration im going with an eheim 2215.

Hatchets would be perfect if you have floating plants. They like to hang out under them. One thing about hatchets is they are jumpers and can get out through the smallest opennings. I lost more than one in covered tanks as they flew out in the slit openning where my HOB filters sat. Marbles are the prettiest of all the hatchets in my opinion but Marthae Blackwinged hatchets are pretty neat too. I've been on the lookout for them for quite sometime.

Pearl danios for the top, Danio albolineatus. They're not the most colorful fish, but they sure like the top layer.

David

For top level fish I suggest a Golden Wonder Killifish. There's like 2 bucks. They spent 75% of the time at water level. They are friendly fish. it used to let me hold it and would even bite me from time to time. I used to have two. The older one also picked on the newer one. They didn't die. Someone stole them. About a month later, my sister gave me two Cubs tickets. These fish are vulnerable. Place a cup in there and they swim right into it.

Ok im sold ill go with the Hatchets. So now what ill have is a 29 gallon with 1 bristlenose pleco(may rehome to add more fish), 6 peppered corys(my favorite, must have), 6 red cherry shrimp, 7 Harlequin Rasboras, and 4 Hatchets. Sound good?

Looks like a plan. I like the selections. Not to hijack your thread, will glass top cover be OK with the hatchets? I mean I keep my water almost to the top (may be an inch lower) and there's not much space between the water surface and the glass top.... Any lower with the water level, the silly aqueon HOB makes that annoying water flowing noise!

Any top will be fine but aren't you going to have a hard time floating surface plants? The only surface floater that I can think of that is really small is duck weed. And if I remember right hatchets like to eat duckweed, so that would be a double + for them... cover and food all in one. It sounds like a good plan but I'd seriously consider rehoming the BNP when it gets larger.

Four hatchets are the minimum you would want. They are schooling fish and like to be in groups.

Marble hatchets are pretty, but I also want to put a word in for silver hatchets. Some people say they're plain, but when the light hits them just right, they sparkle! They're a little larger than marbles.

personally i'd go with 5 or 6 hatchets. IMO 4 is not really enough of a school and an extra 2 isn't going to impact your bioload too much and I really don't think it's an isue given you have a 29 gallon and your fish aren't overly messy.

If you really worry about the bioload then I'd personally drop a rasbora and add 1 hatchet. 6 and 5 is pretty decent.

Thats why I want to rehome my bristlenose. He creates more of a bioload then my 4 corys combined. Rehome him and ill be able to add more fish.

Back
Top Bottom