Top of tank dwellers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I checked out the Flying Fox and they are pretty cool looking. Can you have more than 1? Will they eat other foods if there is not an abundance of algae? Also, it doesn't look like they have the mouth like the other algae eater species. Do they attach to the glass like the others or do they pick away at the algae after is long enough? Thanks for any information you can provide. Inquiring minds want to know. :)
Yeah, you could a small group in your tank. Maybe 3 I think. Pearl gouramis are supposed to be less aggressive than many other gourami species, but they can still be territorial. I think one would be ok in your set-up though. :)

I checked out the Flying Fox and they are pretty cool looking. Can you have more than 1? Will they eat other foods if there is not an abundance of algae? Also, it doesn't look like they have the mouth like the other algae eater species. Do they attach to the glass like the others or do they pick away at the algae after is long enough? Thanks for any information you can provide. Inquiring minds want to know. :)

I'm glad you are so curious! SAEs are schooling fish. I have three right now and plan on picking up two more when my LFS gets in more. They are very active and entertaining fish, I love watching them interact and gobble for food! They will eat pellets/flakes/defrosted blood worms with the rest of the fish at meal time and scavenge at the bottom once everyone has had their fill. Also, I throw in algae wafers once a week (just in case, not like I need to though) and they munch on them. I have reach blanched veggies like cucumber are also good. They do not fully attach like a pleco. They suck on it to get the algae off. I don't think they can suck hard enough to sit on the glass like you normally see with a pleco, but I could be wrong. My tank is so active, that when they want some peace, they go under the driftwood or chill in the bushy parts of the plants.

Hope this answers your questions. Feel free to ask whatever, I don't mind! I'm not in the mood to do my sociology homework, so distract me as much as possible. haha

Not hating! I want an arowana one day. If I had the money, I would get one of those $20,000 platinum ones. But, those are not suitable for a 37g.

I have marble hatchetfish and they stay near the top of the tank. They also school, they jump when stressed. They are great fish and a lot of fun to watch.

the Flying Fox and Siamese Algae Eater are two different fish that get mixed up a lot. Here is a helpful link about the differences Algae Eating Cyprinids from Thailand and Neighboring Areas
I have had both and they are much different when they are older. One thing is that the flying fox only gets up to about 3.5 inches and the SAE grows up to 6" or more. My SAE is currently about 5.5 inches and is in a 75 gal. Both species will eat flake foods and more so the older they get. Neither of them are good on hair algae. I had 2 flying foxes in a 40g tall and had to give one to my brother due to how aggressive it was toward the other. It actually seemed like it chased after any fish that had a dark stripe down the body.

I also recently got some African Butterfly Fish and like them. They are fun to watch when feeding. I think the movement on top of the water chases them into the corners and behind things where there is less movement but if you have some floating plants they'll hide amongst them too.

I think guppies are pretty much anywhere tank dwellers but when you come near the tank they stay near to the top for the food. :)

FishEggs said:
the Flying Fox and Siamese Algae Eater are two different fish that get mixed up a lot. Here is a helpful link about the differences Algae Eating Cyprinids from Thailand and Neighboring Areas
I have had both and they are much different when they are older. One thing is that the flying fox only gets up to about 3.5 inches and the SAE grows up to 6" or more. My SAE is currently about 5.5 inches and is in a 75 gal. Both species will eat flake foods and more so the older they get. Neither of them are good on hair algae. I had 2 flying foxes in a 40g tall and had to give one to my brother due to how aggressive it was toward the other. It actually seemed like it chased after any fish that had a dark stripe down the body.

I also recently got some African Butterfly Fish and like them. They are fun to watch when feeding. I think the movement on top of the water chases them into the corners and behind things where there is less movement but if you have some floating plants they'll hide amongst them too.

I think guppies are pretty much anywhere tank dwellers but when you come near the tank they stay near to the top for the food. :)

Excellent! Thanks for the link. Looks like it is pretty important to get the right one.

I did not know they were two different things. I have always seen the names interchangeably. That's crazy. I feel so dumb now...:eek:

Now I'm curious which mine are. I shall research.

I don't know if you want to add another type of fish, tiger barbs are aggressive fin nippers. I would keep the barbs on their own

alex07 said:
I don't know if you want to add another type of fish, tiger barbs are aggressive fin nippers. I would keep the barbs on their own

I have had no issues with this. I heard and read the same but they pretty much do their own thing. I'm getting a few more TBs as they are happier in groups. I'm not adding any fish with flowing fins which is when the bigger issues occur I think.

My clown barbs are my absolute favorite. They basically look like carp with black stripes.

Giant danios are good with just about anything look into them I've got a couple and they're great

Hey, Crazy. I wanted to update you that I have been keeping my eye on the CAE since you brought up the aggressiveness they are prone too and it is evident. Last night while I was watching my fishes after turning the lights out he was chasing my clown barbs around the tank relentlessly. They are my favorites so I will be having none of that. The CAE is now enjoying the 10 gallon QT all by himself until I find him a home.

Thanks for the tip! ;)

Greetings! I figured it better to recycle one of my old threads since this is where there has already been some discussion about SAEs, false SAEs and Flying Foxes.

Saturday while at That Fish Place I picked up 3 fishes that were labeled simply as "Algae Eating Shark". I did the research and I believe them to be False SAEs. While I would have liked to have had the real SAEs, I'm still happy with my purchase. They are really cool looking fish. However, here are my questions:

1. Do false SAEs eat algae at all? I don't have a lot of algae anyway but I would like to know if I can expect any level of algae eating out of these little guys? I have noticed these guys smudging on the glass like they are eating something off of it in the QT tank but I have also seen them eating flakes as well. They also seem to like the algae wafers just fine.

2. I saw another fish there that I really liked but didn't pick up. I believe them to have been Silver Flying Foxes. Do these guys eat algae at all? Would these be able to be kept with the False SAEs? I know that a lot of the shark minnows don't get along with one another.

Thanks in advance for your participation and any help you can provide. :)

Back
Top Bottom