Top of water looks oily?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Posivated

Aquarium Advice Activist
When I trimming my plants today I noticed the top of my water looks oily. Anyone know what this could be from? I use Leaf zone for my plants, and Aqeon water Conditioner, and thats about all the chemicals I use.

Well I have an Aqueon quiet flow 30, and a 20g long tank.

Last edited:
Did u rinse your hands well before you put them in the tank?

I doubt it's from my hands, I wash them about 100 times a day. Could it be from left over food? Had problems with a few fish not eating and I couldn't get all of it out

I doubt it's from my hands, I wash them about 100 times a day. Could it be from left over food? Had problems with a few fish not eating and I couldn't get all of it out

could be the cause due to the protein in the food. make sure you don't overfeed the fish. a fasting every now and then wouldn't hurt the fish at all

You might want to cut back on your feeding. Also skin gives off natural oils so even if your hand are clean it wouldn't make a difference if your gonna be doing work in the tank. Try wearing latex gloves. Another thing you could try would be using a power head to help move the water. Perhaps the oils could be excess waste from the plants.

Thanks for the help all. I shouldn't have any left over food anymore my guys have been eating for the past week or so and they don't leave any behind. Ill also use my planting tools more than my hands (Hard sometimes though :p)

I highly highly doubt it was from your natural oils in your skin. I put my hands in my tanks multiple times a day and have never had this happen, it is something else. Just do a water change and feed a little less and see if that works. You could also get a bubbler, and only turn it on when the lights are off(since you have plants).

I highly highly doubt it was from your natural oils in your skin. I put my hands in my tanks multiple times a day and have never had this happen, it is something else. Just do a water change and feed a little less and see if that works. You could also get a bubbler, and only turn it on when the lights are off(since you have plants).

Not talking to much about natural skin oils. More along the lines or left over soap/lotion on the hands. And yes it does happen. Iv actually seen a 55g saltwater tank go down in flames because the person forgot to rinse the lotion of their hands and poisoned the entire tank without knowing. Rare but very possible. In my opinion hands should stay out of the tank. They make aquarium gloves and tools. Just a thought. Left over food and little surface agitation are general causes tho.

I generally only use soap in the shower, I just wash my hands a lot out of habit without soap. I also don't use lotion very often. But, I will keep my hands out of the tank as much as I can :)

i generally only use soap in the shower, i just wash my hands a lot out of habit without soap. I also don't use lotion very often. But, i will keep my hands out of the tank as much as i can :)

*Thumbs Up*

Last edited:
Reading through the thread I think it may be your food. What do you feed? I sometimes notice this after I feed flakes. And I rotate flakes/pellets/bottom feeder tablets ect. Read the ingredence list, most foods have some sort of oil.

Reading through the thread I think it may be your food. What do you feed? I sometimes notice this after I feed flakes. And I rotate flakes/pellets/bottom feeder tablets ect. Read the ingredence list, most foods have some sort of oil.

I feed them Cichlid Gold by Hikari

Back
Top Bottom