Top swimmers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffruth

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have enough room in my tank for 2-3 fish. I am looking for something that will spend it's time in the top portion of the tank. Any thoughts on a good addition. Have tetras, DGourami, Julii cores, platy.

jeffruth said:
I have enough room in my tank for 2-3 fish. I am looking for something that will spend it's time in the top portion of the tank. Any thoughts on a good addition. Have tetras, DGourami, Julii cores, platy.

Well we need a frame of reference. Like your tank size! We can tell you after.

20g. Planted. Stocked with red minor tetra, platy, glolite tetra, Julii cory, DGourami, clown Pleco, mystery snail. Running a aquaclear filter with a powerhead/quick filter setup as well. Water temp is 24-25C.

jeffruth said:
20g. Planted. Stocked with red minor tetra, platy, glolite tetra, Julii cory, DGourami, clown Pleco, mystery snail. Running a aquaclear filter with a powerhead/quick filter setup as well. Water temp is 24-25C.

How many of these fish^^^ do you have?

If you are not overstocked and still have space for a few fish, check this out. Hatchet fish:

http://www.langsite.com/legacy/f-hatchet.html

jeffruth said:

How many of each? Maybe a Bolivian ram?

Bolivian rams tend to be bottom dwellers, mine never stay in the top, mostly in the middle/bottom, but never in the top

dwarf gouramis would be a great choice IMO

I have one dwarf gourami. Tried two by they fought alot and one actually ended up dying on me. Not enough space in the tank I guess. Gonna look at kilii fish.

jeffruth said:
I have one dwarf gourami. Tried two by they fought alot and one actually ended up dying on me. Not enough space in the tank I guess. Gonna look at kilii fish.

you should keep one dwarf per tank, if you want two, make sure you have a heavily planted with very little LOS

killifish are pretty, but most live for about a year and just die, I wouldn't get them if you are a beginner

Killifish are considered annuals but in reality if cared for they can live for 2-3 years. I have a breeding pair of Golden panchax that are 21 months old.

So for your top swimmers a pair gets my vote.

Picked up 2x fancy guppies. Took my 3yr old and that's what he wanted. Made my decision easier.

theres african butterfly fish they get to be about four inchs maybe a bit big but cool fish i will be getting one soon

I don't know if I would put anything in there since you already have Dwarf Gourami. Mine can be a bit aggressive if a tetra or shrimp stray up to the top of the tank which is "his".

I am having no issue. The DGourami chases the guppies a bit, but doesn't harass it.

Back
Top Bottom