Top things someone in Pet store Retail should know?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HooDwin1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, i've worked for a certain Pet store chain for almost a year now, and while i still have much to learn, when istarted i literally knew nothing. I know alot of people bash us for not knowing anything so i thought i would make a thread so you guys could put stuff every pet store employee that works with fish should know.:thanks:

This is primary one I think. Biological Filtration: Understanding the Nitrogen Cycle in Aquariums

Stocking plans are something else to really understand to be able to advise correctly, in order to know what works with what you really need to know each species adult size, temperment, and social behavior.

Most people that go into pet stores aren't trying to hear it, they just want their fish, but if someone does ask it helps to be informed about the things that are being sold. Imagine going to a car lot and interacting with a salesman that knows nothing about the cars in the lot.

I think jeta covered the important ones.

Another thing to add (which the store probably wouldn't want you to mention) is that trying to alter water chemistry like pH, hardness, etc...will almost always cause more harm than good. I think you'll find most experienced hobbyists only require fresh water and a good water conditioner to keep a healthy aquarium.

I know most people don't want to hear about or try to understand cycling. When I see people at pet stores buying fish and a tank at the same time...I've given up on trying to talk them out of it. I grab a bottle of Seachem Prime, an API Master kit and simply ask them to add fish slowly, perform very frequent water changes using Prime and google aquarium nitrogen cycle when they have free time.

I noticed the other day that Petsmart actually has some decent information printed on the bags the fish are placed in. Advising people to actually read what's printed on there would be a good start.

Yeah the Nitrogen cycle and stocking options are big ones, compatibility of the fishes.
As you said Eco there's actually charts at petsmart that show correct stocking options for many different fish, but no one actually uses them.

I tried to correct the ph of my water at my LFS 's advice. One guy said it was like a 2 but the other guy said he couldnt be sure because the thing only went as low as 4. Anywho it wasnt fun.

I think the ph correction thing (along with other very limited usefulness products) is just a tool that pet stores use to sell more product. People don't generally understand some of the more technical stuff with fishkeeping and just assume that its important if the worker says it is. The workers generally don't understand the technical stuff either, they are just doing what they were taught to do when it comes to sales.

I bet if you took a LFS worker that recommended a PH adjusting chemical and asked them why exactly, and what role general hardness and carbonate hardness play in aquaria, they won't have a clue other than say that 'certain fish like certain pH'.

The same misunderstanding comes with temperature, people think that because X fish is labeled as living in 78 degrees that it must be kept at that temp all the time. Wish mother nature was that kind.

+1 with jetajockey and eco23 .. they hit the trifecta. Cycling, Stocking and water chemistry

Granted .. 1/2 the people new to aquariums don't want to hear it ... they just want their tank up and running ASAP.
But .... eventually, many $$$$ later when constantly buying replacement fish gets to be annoying and pricey ... then maybe they'll listen.

Goldfish need at bare minimum 20g for ONE fancy Goldfish with 40g worth of filtration. And Comets get a foot long and do best in Ponds. Bowls kill GF.

Bettas prefer 80f degree water and a decent sized tank.

A school is MORE than 3 fish.

When I got my first aquarium at Petsmart I was told by the guy who worked in small animals (specially trained in fish dept) that 3 mollies, 2 platys, 3 guppies and a Chinese Algae Eater would fit well in the 10 gallon aquarium I had in my shopping cart.
I must say what I learned from that and the experiences shortly following...

1. NEVER listen to an employee who pauses as you're squatted peering Into rows of fish "ummm I don't know, they should get along fine"

2. 1 male Molly will harass the $#!¥ out of your remaining female Molly once you discover the other female is sick and had to take her out...

3. You must buy several more female mollies for your female Molly to not die from stress from your male chasing and mating with her almost constantly...

4. Two male platys will fight and argue over territory forcing the weaker one to stay behind a plant, only to be chased back if he tries to come out..

5. One guppy will die... Perhaps cause he was the only yellow in the 3 or maybe because his name was Tinkle and he was mortified...

6. The remaining 2 guppies will continually try to mate, and be successful in doing so, with your small female Molly... Swimming sideways and upside down to try to make it work out in their best interest... Forcing their aquamom to look up the possibilities of Muppies or Gollies...

7. A Chinese Algae Eater will KILL MY FISH! (so glad I researched him prior to this happening). I was told he would keep the tank nice and clean... Anyone who knows about these fish know they get up to 12"!

8. You find out what it means to be square, how long it takes for a Molly to drop her entire batch of fry, that it tickles so much getting swarmed and your nibbled upon by 100 Molly fry, and how excited a grown person can get suddenly findin two little microscopic eyes peering out at them from inside a plant..

9. Last but not least... You realize you're obsessed!!!

Tell us that fish actually get to their full potential. The lady at Petco a few months ago told me that you can keep an "algae eater" in a five gallon tank just fine because shes been doing it and it won't get any bigger if you keep it in a small tank.

Also inform them about selling true aquatic plants please...I bought supposedly aquatic amazon sword plants at PetSmart and within six months they started to melt away and turn brown.

1. Explain the importance of a GOOD filter and filtration.
2. Not argue with you when you say you don't have to change the media with every water change and spend 100's of dollars on new media.
3. Try to tell you they know more than you when they don't!! Like you only need to do pwc once every month to 6 weeks! Yikes!!!!! I actually had a guy tell me this when he found out I usually do pwc twice a week with a Tiger Oscar!! Lol!

Most of what I've suggested has already been said but I'll second the not trying to argue with people who are hobbyists.
I told a guy at petco I had my angelfish in with a school of barbs and he told me to "trade them in immediately!" because they would kill my angels. Most of the time I find that employees have a limited knowledge of fish species and try to lump them all together in one category. Not all barbs are aggressive. Not all algae eaters can fit in a 10 gallon tank, etc.

Tigroscr said:
1. Explain the importance of a GOOD filter and filtration.
2. Not argue with you when you say you don't have to change the media with every water change and spend 100's of dollars on new media.
3. Try to tell you they know more than you when they don't!! Like you only need to do pwc once every month to 6 weeks! Yikes!!!!! I actually had a guy tell me this when he found out I usually do pwc twice a week with a Tiger Oscar!! Lol!

Oh! I forgot to mention
4. Not treat you like your a moron!!! But I do have to say as much as I go to the lfs store this has only happened a handful of times!

bruinsbro1997 said:
Also inform them about selling true aquatic plants please...I bought supposedly aquatic amazon sword plants at PetSmart and within six months they started to melt away and turn brown.

If you bought Amazon Swords, they ARE Fully Aquatic ! But they need proper spectrum lighting AND benefit from root tabs and liquid ferts. My Amazon Swords are fine.

Petsmart did recently start labeling the Semi Aquatic Plants clearly.

I swapped out my screw in Incandescent for two screw in compact fluorescent bulbs. Most kits don't have proper light for plants.

I was the only planted tank person at my Petsmart.

bruinsbro1997 said:
No, they were labeled "Amazon swords". It turned out to be a house plant, my grandma keeps them in her house.

Well perhaps they were Mislabeled ? I've sold many and have had mine for 2 years.
Here are Am Sword links. See if they look like what you bought.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3953760
http://www.aquahobby.com/garden/e_eamazon.php
http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Decor Amazon Sword.htm
>>>>>>>>>>

I just wish more store employees had my passion for fish. I used to read fish mags and books on my lunch breaks.

bruinsbro1997 said:
No, they were labeled "Amazon swords". It turned out to be a house plant, my grandma keeps them in her house.

That's weird! I got some from petco and they did up end up being amazon swords. That sucks though, why would they label a house plant as an aquarium plant.

Were they perhaps labeled "Brazilian Sword"? This is what aquarium stores tend to call Spathyphillum/Peace Lily, which makes an awesome house plant, or riparium plant. It is not, however, fully aquatic.

On the subject at hand, however, it would be nice if the chain stores, and even a lot of small LFS told us the things that have been pointed out.
I agree with most of the points brought up, and many of them would probably benefit the store.
Unfortunately, however, the bottom line is...............well...................the bottom line, and many corporations don't see past that. Why would they ever tell you, for example, that you don't need to change your filters. You wouldn't buy any more filters if they told you that!

Back
Top Bottom