Topfin, tempered?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Visionist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've seen a ton of mixed info about wether or not topfin uses tempered glass all around. I was looking at their 55 or 50 gallon size. People say that the tanks are made by Marineland or Aqueon but the 55 and 50 are different sizes entirely from what both sites list. The 50 gallon is 48 1/4" long which I don't see as a size for any other 50 gallon at all. Does anyone know if These topfin tanks are tempered all around or just on the bottom?
55 Gallon Fish Tank » Top Fin® 55 Gallon Starter Kit | PetSmart
50 Gallon Fish Tank » Top Fin® 50 Gallon Aquarium Hood Combo | PetSmart

Called petsmarts 1-800 number. They were absolutely useless. She read out the online description of the tank and then some of the reviews....

Not really...it's just so that if it breaks it will break in tiny pieces and not big piece with jagged edges than can kill someone.

Not really...it's just so that if it breaks it will break in tiny pieces and not big piece with jagged edges than can kill someone.

Wouldn't it shatter and let out all of the water vs just cracking and slowly leaking?

What's the difference anyways your screwed no matter what. Haha. But...no, tempered glass won't just shatter, it will crack and hold its shape. I guess if there is a lot of water and it is forcing outwards it will just give out.

From one website:
DO NOT USE tempered glass. If any amount of damage occurs to the glass, you won't have a tiny leak, you'll have an explosion of tiny pieces of glass all over.

All my tanks are top fin (3) including a 40 breeder..and I have not had any problems besides a 10 that had a small leak in the bottom seal which I returned no problem.. If the glass breaks you're gonna have a problem anyway.

I have the 55 TF starter. I don't know if it's tempered but it's rock solid and been a great tank so far. I wouldn't be upset by a tempered glass tank. I can't think of any reason I'd wind up with a crack in the glass in either case.

I have the 55 TF starter. I don't know if it's tempered but it's rock solid and been a great tank so far. I wouldn't be upset by a tempered glass tank. I can't think of any reason I'd wind up with a crack in the glass in either case.

I think the 55 is tempered but its good to hear that it is sturdy.

Back
Top Bottom