Torpedo barb? Denison barb? Will it fit my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

charlie2y3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,
I currently have a 160lt tropical community tank. I’m thinking about getting some Denison Bards for the tank. They’re meant to be very peaceful and are usually in community tanks. I’ve read they do better in small shoals around 3,4 or 5. However I know they can get around 10cm as an adult. So do you think I am able to have some in my tank? If so, how many?

How long is the 160lt ?
I have roselines that are 5 years old + and 5-6 inches easy...
Very peaceful and active fish.Needs long tank to be able to sprint a little...

It’s 1 meter long so around 3 foot, 3 inches, would this be ok?

It’s 1 meter long so around 3 foot, 3 inches, would this be ok?

It really depends on how many you have IME. With only a couple I find they are less active, so a 3.25' tank would likely work, as long as there isn't too much hardscape and plant mass in their swimming space. Not as ideal as a 4' tank however.

The larger the numbers of densions you have the more active I see them swimming around, I've kept a decent number in a 3' 65 gal. and they seemed okay, but I've also kept them in a 4' 90 gal. and it seemed like a much better fit for them.

Not really a solid answer that you are looking for, you'll get mixed opinions from most people, but generally if you are planning on keeping them for the long haul, a 4' tank would be best.

Ok maybe not them. I just thought coz they’re a very attractive fish and I need fish to swim more lower water. Thanks for the advice

I used to have Denison barbs in a 90g tank, which is 4' long. I have 5, with a school of tetras, and cories, and all fish did fine. My barbs got up to 6" easy, though. I'm not a community fish expert, but I was told that there are at least 2 different strains of Denison barbs, with one strain reaching only 5" and the other reaching up to 8". I believe the smaller strain is more common, but if you decide to get Denisons, it's something to be aware of. 3-4 of the smaller sized Denisons would probably be ok in your tank, depending upon the rest of your stock list.

Ok thanks, currently I only have 2 gouramis, some guppies, 2 rams and a couple bottom dwellers, like a bristlenose catfish and otocinclas

Charlie
Research, Odessa Barbs. They are also a very colorful, not so common barb, that only grows to be about three inches.

+1 on Odessa barbs. Active and beautiful. Mine are not aggressive

Well I think you can keep few Denison Barbs. Really not a big problem. Also they are slow growers.I love this fish.

Back
Top Bottom