Toxic shock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ricky 1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
We all tend to think inside the tank when it comes to disease, it's not always the case, there are many things in your room that have lots of potential to kill, washing your hands with soap before cleaning your tank is one, spraying any type of fly repellents, air freshener, cleaning products,carpet freshener,smoking, and even noise from vacuum cleaner all have potential to shock or kill your fish..........

I think this a great post and timely reminder for when doing water changes that can never be too careful.

Noise from a vacuum cleaner? That's a new one. Most are not blasting loud but I assume it could happen.

Myself, I'm bad about cross contamination. I use the same nets, bowls, etc on different tanks. Even SW to FW. I've never had an incident occur yet but it definitely could happen.

Caleb

Thanks Dp, nice of you to say so, I thought it would make some think outside the tank for a change.........

Noise from a vacuum cleaner? That's a new one. Most are not blasting loud but I assume it could happen.

Myself, I'm bad about cross contamination. I use the same nets, bowls, etc on different tanks. Even SW to FW. I've never had an incident occur yet but it definitely could happen.

Caleb
Thanks Cool guy, I think we tend to forget about danger on the outside, especially the ones new to fish keeping......

Thanks Cool guy, I think we tend to forget about danger on the outside, especially the ones new to fish keeping......

Definitely agree. Or for those younger aquarists that have mothers who clean a lot. Even spraying air freshener in the room could pose a threat.

Have you see how detrimental "bug bombing" a house can be? Its recommended to move the tank outside the house or lots of steps to prevent the toxin from getting inside the tank.

Caleb

Definitely agree. Or for those younger aquarists that have mothers who clean a lot. Even spraying air freshener in the room could pose a threat.

Have you see how detrimental "bug bombing" a house can be? Its recommended to move the tank outside the house or lots of steps to prevent the toxin from getting inside the tank.

Caleb
Yes it,s a big danger to fish,lots of things we take granted like slapping some aftershave on etc. can get into the water, using buckets thats had soap in, the list goes on......

Hmm, let's discuss. I'm a smoker, I smoke in my home in the room with my tanks. I've never had a problem, what threat does this pose exactly? I also use aerosol air freshener in the same room. I'm careful to spray it lightly and low to the ground, in no direction near any tanks. Again, by being careful I've never experienced a problem. I'm not disputing you, just wanted some follow up.

Hmm, let's discuss. I'm a smoker, I smoke in my home in the room with my tanks. I've never had a problem, what threat does this pose exactly? I also use aerosol air freshener in the same room. I'm careful to spray it lightly and low to the ground, in no direction near any tanks. Again, by being careful I've never experienced a problem. I'm not disputing you, just wanted some follow up.
Hi, just because you have not had a problem doesn't guarantee that you won't, smoke is toxic and can get in to the water via the air stone, however if you're careful and am sure you are, its a lesser risk.......

Id see it more as cigarette residue(I'm not a smoker does it leave anything on the fingers?)

As far as air freshener, it's became airborne. The particles could get sucked into the air pump or fall into an open space in the lid of the tank.

It's not likely to happen, but it can't be ruled out.

Caleb

Ah yes... the long debated smoking around fish tanks. I'm very curious to hear abt others thoughts on this.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi PR, I used to smoke years ago, always had what's called nicotine fingers, even though you washed them you could not get the stuff off, I was a beginner back then and would never have thought to blame the poison on my hands........

There can be a slight residue, it also depends on how you hold the cig and how much you smoke. My fingers don't show the yellowing but I wash my hands probably 20 times a day due to my job. I also rinse thoroughly and have never had an issue here either. Having had tanks in my living room for the last six years I can say in my case its not an issue nor a concern to me.

As for the air freshener its only slight sprays at near floor level, my lowest tank is around 5 ft at the lid, I'm very careful and can say its never caused a problem either, although this could easily get you into trouble if not being careful. I also believe cleaners pose more threat than deodorizers.

Edit: I also don't run air stones Ricky for what its worth. Could be a variable.

Being experienced as you are TE, helps alot, you know the ins and outs of cross contamination, I thought it would be good to help some think about it........

Also, for what its worth, I always turn off my ceiling fans or any fan for that matter when spraying anything near a tank.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Very good an unbelievable read, thanks for sharing that DP, I will read more later....

Back
Top Bottom