Trading fish to fish stores for store credit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robertmarda

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have read that some fish stores will accept baby fish breed by individuals for store credit and know that a friend of mine in Utah has actually done this.

My question is how much do the fish stores pay for their fish, particularly mollies and swordtails? How much store credit should I be able to negotiate (assuming I have good quality fish)? and at what size will they take the fish? Must they be the size I normally see in the fish stores or can they be somewhat smaller?

Or would I be better off trying to sell them myself?

well i hope we can get an accurate answer from brandon or logan as they work at a pet shop.

but my guess is for common fish like that they would be paying easily less than a $1 per fish.

mollies you probably get about $1 for 10, no im not kidding. a billion people breed mollies and a billion take them to fish stores, dno bout swordtails. give it a try

I'm in NY and out of curiousity, I asked a few people at fish stores about that, and it was even less. Like 20/$1.00 mollies and swordtails. And thats what they were paying people who they had been dealing with for years already and they didn't want or need any more. Angels they said 5/$1.00 dime-size.

I think that like anything, the rarer, (or harder to spawn) the more anyone will pay.

You might try online auction sites, which I have never used, but the biggest seems to be www.aquabid.com
Some of the prices on there seem pretty nice and they get bid on, so. . . .

One of the local fish stores I deal with gives you about a dime a fish. They take the Mollies & Swordtails kind if small approx 1/4" in length. They'll also take the Angels about the size of a dime and they'll give you about twenty cents for them.

Thanks for the responses. I didn't expect to get much for them. I just want to get something for them and of course as I ramp up my breeding program I need an outlet for the fish as I certainly won't be able to keep them all.

Another thought I have had is to try and sell them by putting ads with online classifieds and sell them for 25 or 50 cents each which is much cheaper than paying for them in a pet store. Most mollies cost 2 or 3 dollars and swordtails at least a dollar or two.

Back
Top Bottom