Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-18-2018, 10:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Transferring fish from frozen to pellets

Hello everyone, some of my more expensive fish red devil angels, electric blue rams, and Bolivian rams, are only eating frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms, I'm scared they're gonna get some type of parasite or something I'm wondering if anyone knows how to get them to eat flakes and pellets thanks.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't feed for a couple of days. Then feed good quality floating small grain cichlid pellets. Gradually mix in a quality flake. I use Omega One products, but Tetra and Hikari make good stuff too.
Start slow, you don't want to pollute your tank with enormous amounts of uneaten food. That's why the floating pellets are good to start with. It's easy to Net out the floating uneaten stuff.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

With Rams I had trouble feeding them anything except bloodworms. I tried to fast them but no they were too stubborn to give up so finally I gave up on them. I don't feed them frozen bloodworms. I switched to freeze dried. But many people develope big allergy and shortness of breath because of fine particles which get in air when we open box and may cause allergy so its a warning. In my experience hikari products all fish love so try to offer them some hikari meaty food.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

A healthy ram will eat a paper towel. Mine accept everything all the time.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
A healthy ram will eat a paper towel. Mine accept everything all the time.
That's nice. Wish mine was not very picky like yours. When I introduced them I read they need to be fed bloodworms so they can come out and eat a tasty snack. I did that to induce there appetite but they just demand bloodworms only.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

They're not good as a staple food, theyre actually terrible. They're sewer worms. They eat death. It's like a once a while treat at best. My puffers were hooked for a while but now they take mysis and brine shrimp just fine. A hungry, healthy fish will eat most anything offered. They don't have a choice, they eat or die. If they don't eat it's because they're sick and they're going to die anyways. Freeze dried blackworms are the way to go for fish crack..
Old 03-19-2018, 10:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
They're not good as a staple food, theyre actually terrible. They're sewer worms. They eat death. It's like a once a while treat at best. My puffers were hooked for a while but now they take mysis and brine shrimp just fine. A hungry, healthy fish will eat most anything offered. They don't have a choice, they eat or die. If they don't eat it's because they're sick and they're going to die anyways. Freeze dried blackworms are the way to go for fish crack..
I do agree and understand. Maybe I gave up too early on them.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:05 PM   #8
Ichthyophile

Bloodworms are the larvae of Chironomid flies, found in many aquatic habitats. Tubifex worms are different. Although both can can be found in sewage, tubifex are commonly known as sewer worms. I have been feeding my 20 tanks of fish with bloodworms (and other food) every day for six years now with no problem. I think the commercial stuff is fine. If you collect your own, there could be an issue.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlederer View Post
Bloodworms are the larvae of Chironomid flies, found in many aquatic habitats. Tubifex worms are different. Although both can can be found in sewage, tubifex are commonly known as sewer worms. I have been feeding my 20 tanks of fish with bloodworms (and other food) every day for six years now with no problem. I think the commercial stuff is fine. If you collect your own, there could be an issue.
I never had any problems as well. Just they all say its not very nutritious. I did have a debate but I take there word as they are experts. I think if you are feeding normal fish food once a day and bloodworms once a day it will be ok since fish are getting nutrition.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Smell frozen bloodworms 5 minutes after leaving the freezer... There are far more beneficial foods available.

Tags
fish, pellet, pellets, transfer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com