Transferring fish to the new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SLoViper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am getting my new 120g tank on Sunday and i was wondering what would be the best way to transfer the fish without damaging the fish. I will be using the same filters as i am using now on my 75g, so i wont need to cycle the tank.
I need to keep fish somewhere safe so i can take my old tank down and put the new one on the same spot.

I am getting my new 120g tank on Sunday and i was wondering what would be the best way to transfer the fish without damaging the fish. I will be using the same filters as i am using now on my 75g, so i wont need to cycle the tank.
I need to keep fish somewhere safe so i can take my old tank down and put the new one on the same spot.

Congrats on the new tank! I would love to have one so big.
What do you have in your tank?

My suggestion is to get your hands on a big tupperware bin. Water test it (if you get if from Walmart you could probably take it back if it leaks). Fill it with water from your old tank, put the filter and heater on it. Transfer fish and decorations (give them somewhere to hide if they are stressed). Put lid over to prevent jumpers/keep up from stressing.

Take down the old tank keeping as much of the old tank water as possible (particularly if you are using any kind of buffers). Set up new tank. Fill with as much old water as possible. Rest of the way with water from tap. I assume you have a new heater for the bigger tank put the heater on and make sure the water is the same temp as the tupperware bin. Transfer fish to new bigger home.

This is how I would do it but I will let other's chime in.

I did as stared above saved 50% of the water in a laundry basket from walmart , put geavel in buckets, switvhed tanks. Tgen just add everything back. I only saved half my water to simulate a water change.

Back
Top Bottom