transferring fish within your own aquariums...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

do you drain the bag water when you transfer fish within your own aquariums or just dump?

FishyPeanut said:
do you drain the bag water when you transfer fish within your own aquariums or just dump?
if it is my own aquarium, and it has been running disease free, i just dump.

When moving fish from my QT to the main tank I rebag them, acclimate over 30 - 60 minutes adding about 1/8th cup of main tank water to the bag every 5 minutes until the volume is doubled and then net the fish out into the main tank.* I guess in a way I still consider them "outsiders" until they actually get INTO the main tank. Plus if the fish was in QT for illness and treated with meds I don't want any of the meds getting into the main tank - I worry about my snails, they're pretty sensitive to most meds.

You needn't bag your fish at all. If it's a distance between tanks and your fish may get agitated, use a bucket or rubbermaid bowl.

In regard to dumping water, I'd only be concerned if there was a major difference in tank parameters or illness in one of the tanks. Other than that, I transferred fish between my two tanks several times with no issues...of course they are right next to each other.

I bought one of those specimen containers that hang on the lip of the tank. You have seen these at your lfs. water from either tank goes in the container, net the fish and put into the container, then dump into new tank. Tank parameters do not vary much in my house. The blessings of moderately hard water with a stable pH.

Personally i dont, better safe than sorry Imo, i don't like to risk 2 tanks Lol

I just net and transfer myself, as my parameters are almost identical between all tanks, including the temp. The difference in the temp is maybe 1 degree, 2 at the very most.

Plus, if I ever do any transfers, it's usually right after a 50% PWC as well on both tanks.

I net the fish I need transferred and walk to the other aquarium and throw them in. (the 2 are maybe 5 foot apart.) Just make sure parameters are almost the same, then it should be no problem.

same thing... unless im stripping fry in which i will but 50% mothers tank water. I just throw them in

*Nods in agreement* I've moved fish a couple of times recently between my 55 and my 29. I simply scoop some tank water out into a cup, net fish, put in cup, dump water and fish into new tank. As long as params are the same (as mine are) and there are no disease issues there should be no problem.

I'm not too fussed about transferring water... maybe from a LFS. but not at home unless disease is/was present.

I just net and release. I haven't had any diseases in my tanks in a couple years so I don't worry about it. If my tanks were less established I might feel differently though.

If I'm moving fish from one tank to another I make sure I do a large water change on both tanks, then I do the transfer. I'll use some clean treated water of the proper temp and put that in a bucket, put the fish that are being transferred into the bucket and pour the water and everyone in slowly to finish filling the tank.

Back
Top Bottom