translate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

electrikat

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone have or know where I can find a way to translate the latin names into the names that are actually on the tanks at the fish store? I'm about to change my reef into a cichlid tank and am trying to get a list of compatible fish, but all of the websites give only the latin names for the fish that are compatible with each other. Thanks in advance.

There is no direct translation. Latin names are used to classify the species scientifically. Common or trade names are variable, sometimes confusing, as fish are sometimes mislabeled. Try the profiles link at cichlid-forum.com, there are common names listed for some species, and photo's of all species listed. Some species don't have common names, but are identified by collection points.

Thanks T-n-B. I'll go there and check it out. Don't want to get fish that don't mix well.

Get the names and descriptions and bring them back here. We can help you determine what will go together and what won't.

Back
Top Bottom