Transparent 'Jelly Sacks' in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alysia

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I have a question! For the past two weeks or so I've been noticing strange, transparent blobs attached to stuff in my tank; walls, gravel, statues. There are tiny white specks in all of them and they feel a little like jello. I thought that maybe they were eggsacks, but there are quite a few of them. What could these be? I'm new to the forums and to fish-keeping, so any help is welcomed! :)

Also, I have a picture but I won't be able to figure out how to upload it until tomorrow. Thank you!

So if I don't want a million snails in my tank, what do I do?

Get a snail eater, Assassin Snail, Clown loach, or a Puffer. But IME if you feed your puffer snails, be prepared for him to go animalisitic on every fish in your aquarium. My puffer bit off all of the fins on my gold chinese algae eater :'(

buy a clown loach. take the eggs out. find the little guy who laid the eggs. if the fish can tolerate it put some aquarium salt in the tank. last option is chemicals like "had a snail" if you have crabs, shrimp or crayfish this is not a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only have a 15 gallon tank, so a clown loach would be too big, I assume. Right now I have 4 black kuhli loaches, 2 glofish, 1 zebra danio, 1 big snail, and a lot of small ones. I had more Glofish but they've died.

i like snails so for me id let them go but if you dont like them you can squish them against the glass.

Ya a Clown Loach wouldn't work, so I would say get an Assassin snail he will get rid of your snail problem, but he might attack your other snail, which I presume you wish to keep?

Yeah I really like my big snail and I don't want him to get hurt. The thing is that I really like the snails, too, but I don't want 100 in my little tank. lol

what kind of snail is your big one do you have a picture

The pet store called it a mystery snail. I do have a picture, but I can't upload it until tomorrow.

well im positive its not the mystery snails offspring because you need a male and a female and their egg sacks are big and pink. if you had anohter tank you could put in their and get an assassin snail in you tank like someone suggested.

I've heard that you can keep their numbers down by putting less food in the tank. If you are overfeeding it can cause a population explosion. How often do you feed your fish at the moment?

^Yep. Buying a fish to solve a problem is never the solution IMO. Just don't overfeed them. They will only reproduce if there is a food source to sustain the population. If you don't overfeed, they wont overpopulate. I have them in all my tanks and like having them there.

Have translucent pick/peach colored sacks?....

...there are two of them. one attached to underside of stone and the other to my intake on my filter. They look just like the OP described.

I have:

55 gal tank
two blue crays
5 albino tiger barbs
5 tiger barbs
3 green tiger barbs
water pH 7.5 (hard water)
water temp 20C

Back
Top Bottom