Transporting Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smidge

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi Guys,

As you may have discovered, some of you regulars, but this has become my new oracle of all things fishy!

I am picking up a fish tank from a seller down south and the gig was that i could have the tank and cabinet (and all of the filters and heaters etc) if i took the inhabitants of the tank as well. Well it's gonna be at least 2 or 3 hour trip in a car. What would you say is the best way of transporting these guys to minimise stress, injury and (gulp) death?

In my experience styrofoam coolers with a battery operated air pump works well for long distances.

Yeah i have a tank all ready for the little blighters.

If you have a minimal amount of fish, each bagged separately, I wouldn't even take them out of the bags as long as you have the LFS shoot some air in the bag. The air space is more important than having a huge amount of water. If you're not sure, a styrofoam cooler and an air bubbler should suffice.

I used to do this all the time when we lived further away. We would drive 3 hours to the lfs. Have them bagged seperately if they are bigger fish. If they are small (Tetras, fry, etc), you can safely have 2 or 3 per bag. Fill the bag half with water and half with air. Put the bags into a paper bag (provides darkness) then into the cooler. Put the cooler on the floor board out of dierct sunlight. You won't need air stones or anything like that. Three hours isn't that long of a time period. If you want, after an hour and a half check the air in the bags. The key is to have them in a dark location for the entire trip.

Thank you for this thread! I am moving an hour away tomorrow and was just checking to see how to transport them and knew I would find the answer here.

where can I get some bags? What kind would be good?

I've always had good luck putting fish in tupperware containers ~1/3-1/2 full of water, capped, in a styrofoam cooler lined with a black trash bag (the bright white stresses fish out).
That's how I transport my puffers; never had a problem (although they do not appreciate being in small containers).

cappieBridget said:
where can I get some bags? What kind would be good?

Any fish shop...petco/petsmart will probably just give them to you. I dont know how a private LFS would work. Also depends on what size bags you need.

carry a bottle of your favorite water conditioner with ya incase the water in the cooler gets dirty, but I agree totally with the battery operated air pump and styrofoam cooler, just keep the cooler out of direct sunlight for the trip and be sure to acclimate them properly b4 adding them to your existing tank, hope that helps :)

Back
Top Bottom