Treating algae with a blue lobster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxlab76

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just added a blue lobster to my 55 gallon fish tank. I have previously been preventing algae by using Alagae Destroyer chemicals. It says on the bottle not to use with freshwater crustraceans. Anyone have an idea what I can use that would be safe and effective?

snails
your blue lobster(if its like mine)will eat them,so you shouldnt have to worry about overpopulation

If those algea destroying agents contain copper you may have a copper build up in your tank that a crayfish and snails can't survive.

Snails, Nerite snails can't breed in freshwater if ur worried bout overpopulation.

Algae eating fish such as Otos are an option. However, I don't recomend buying them for just that reason. Plus that lobster will tend to munch on anything that spends too much time on the bottom

Would need more info on the particular type of algae your having trouble with to give a more detailed response.

I don't think you'll want to invest in nerites..too spendy for a snack for your cray.

id go for mystery snails,there cheap,do there job,and your cray will keep them from taking over your tank

Thanks for the advice. I think that I will try to get some snails for the tank. Its not like I have a major problem with algae, but I do get some black algae build up on my rocks and decoration. I just want to make sure it doesnt get out of control.
My lobster seems to be doing fine. I hope that I dont have the copper build up problem. I really didnt think of that either.

I don't know..a mystery snail or apple snail will not reproduce if you only have one. You have to have a male and a female. You might be better off getting some common pond snails that will reproduce like crazy but your cray should keep the population in check..whoever survives long enough will be working at the algea.

Back
Top Bottom