Treating Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AfricanCichlidOwner

Aquarium Advice Activist
I found some driftwood down by the river and I want it in my tank what's the process of treating it?

There's other ways using certain products, or boiling it. Though i don't have exact confirmation on how to do these methods, i recommend taking a look at it.

I always boil mine for at least a couple hours to kill any bacteria in the wood, then I soak it as long as it takes for it to sink and change the water it is soaking in every couple days.

I boiled mine for about 4-5 hours a day for 3 days. You can boil it for about 2 hours minimum and it will be safe. Just make sure u scrub it good before the quick boil.

Thanks everyone. What about bark? I like this bog chunk I found but will it sink any ideas?

If you can remove the bark I would try, allot of unwanted organisms can harbor under the bark which could inturn infect the tank later plus this part of the wood is going to decompose the fastest. If you can't remove the bark try your best to clean under it. I've soaked pieces for weeks before only to find more dirt and such hidden under the bark of the wood

Back
Top Bottom