Treating ICH with heat and salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonny1982

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When treating ICH with heat and salt, is the proper method raising the tank temp. to 86 degrees and adding salt everyday? How much salt per gallon and how often?

I have a 29 gallon freshwater tank with 2 glofish, 2 guppies, 1 wag red platy, and 1 raphael catfish.

Thanks

Skip the salt, the heat treatment will work all on it's own. Just raise the temp slowly up to 86 degrees increasing the temp by 1 - 2 degrees every hour or so.

If you really want to use the salt though, you add it once and then add more to the water change water to match the amount in the tank. For example: If you're doing a 50% water change on a 100g tank then add salt for 50g of water.

Agreed, just use heat.

86 degrees for two weeks, increasing a degree or two an hour. Be sure to increase the amount of surface agitation as heat robs the aquarium of oxygen.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Treating "Ich"

When treating ICH with heat and salt, is the proper method raising the tank temp. to 86 degrees and adding salt everyday? How much salt per gallon and how often?

I have a 29 gallon freshwater tank with 2 glofish, 2 guppies, 1 wag red platy, and 1 raphael catfish.

Thanks

Hello jon...

Salt is an effective treatment. Parasites that live on the fishes' skin don't tolerate even very low doses. It's been a general health additive for decades. If you keep the dose low at roughly two teaspoons for every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water, you won't harm fish or plants and still retard the growth of the Ich parasite. Your livebearing fish, like Guppies and Platys will really benefit from using a little salt. I've used a little in my tanks for several years with good results.

Just a fan of aquarium salt. You're the water keeper, it's your call.

B

Agreed, just use heat.

86 degrees for two weeks, increasing a degree or two an hour. Be sure to increase the amount of surface agitation as heat robs the aquarium of oxygen.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

^^ this ^^

Back
Top Bottom