Treating individual plants in place

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darwin

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I’ve read a lot on this Black Beard Algae (BBA) and other nasty algae problems that grow on plants. Sadly most people don’t seem to be able to get it under control before it takes over all the plants. The biggest issue stopping people is they don’t want to treat the whole tank it might hurt the fish, snails, shrimp. Well I’ve been thinking about it for a couple weeks while I was trying to correct water conditions for the BBA I have.

Don’t know of anyone doing this solution and it could work for many other issues if you like the idea.

Here is my idea I’ve done it myself and seemed to work fine;

To kill BBA the common idea is to use h2o2 (hydrogen peroxide) injected around the plant with all your pumps off let stand for 2-5 min then turn everything back on and hope for the best. Yes there are other chemicals that seem to work also.

What I did was to take a 3” pvc pipe the same height as my tank I placed it over the plant a sword in this instance making sure not to break the steams as I placed them into the pipe. Making sure the pipe went into the substrate a little. I then injected the H202 around the plant. Waited about 2 min then used a 3/8” tubing, I siphoned out the pipe for 3 min. making sure the tubing was at different levels in the pipe. Not sure where h2o2 would settle in the water column.
The new water will come from under the gravel and replace the treated water. My swords pearled for hours after treatment.

If you need to get the volume of the tube you can find the volume of the pipe before treatment by putting a cap on the one end and adding cups till you get it Or you can use the old volume calculator.

Don’t forget to pull your rocks and ornaments out and scrub/treat them. Get your water conditions/ Lights fixed ASAP
Hope this helps someone with BBA or other issues!

well 48 hours after treatment and.... IT worked great. the algae turned brown and the plants are looking alot better without a beard. Strange thing my angels seem to like the brown stuff. They pick at it when around it.

Back
Top Bottom