Tree like plant for freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

epsolon77

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55 gallon tank that while is well cycled already (running for less than a week, thank you to the MASS of filter media stolen from my other tanks :)) I still have not finalized my plant setup. I would like some kind of thick stalky plant that I can arrange similar to roots so my angels can go hide and act like angels. I was thinking about Lucky Bamboo (yes I know it's not really bamboo and the leaves need to stay out of the water) but was curious if anyone had any other idea's. Thanks a ton.

You should post this over in the planted section. There's some great people that hang over there that know alot about planted tanks. It might get answered sooner or give you a better variety of answers

water lettuce has long roots in my 120 i trimmed some 18 inch roots. i think prob a better option would be driftwood.

Driftwood with moss on top can look like an underwater tree if you do it right. :) Worth looking into. I don't know any tree like plants for freshwater.

In high light water wisteria seems to make more narrow leaves and ive got a big bunch of it in one of my tanks popping up in the back over the mid-ground plants and it kinda looks like a treetop. Not really a tree, but tree esque.

Manzanita driftwood with some moss and java fern or anubia attached to it might work. If you point it so it branches down instead of up it looks like tree roots.

Most true aquatics don't look like trees. They float in water, so don't have to grow branches, etc.

If you want an underwater stalk kind of look, you might want to try some marginal/bog plants. The tops will have to be out of water, so you need an open top setup with overhead light.

The plant in the middle of this tank may work? This is my 120G tank with a giant Hygro in the middle ..

img_1032792_0_ac347c5a0bfb1c703b7052f63dc49f86.jpg

_Orlando

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I think I was not clear though. I am not looking to make a whole tree. I was just trying to replicate the roots of a bog type tree, like a mangrove tree, who's roots stick into the water. From my research, angelfish like to hide between the roots of tree's that hang down into the amazon, and hunt from there. I was planning on using a lucky bamboo (something from the family Dracaena) that can tolerate having their stems submerged. I don't mind the plant sitting above the water. I know that most aquatic plants won't have stiff steams because they don't need them while submerged, but I was curious if anyone had better idea's.

mgamer20o0-- about how thick were the roots of the water letuce?

orlando -- awesome looking tank. That hygro is beautiful. I know my betta's (in a different tank) would love laying around in there!

It looks great! I was hoping for something live though (I'm a real picky one I guess) I just like the idea of having as much living matter in the tank as possible. I am actually a little upset that I am compromising and getting dead rocks for the tank (I know the "live rock" term is for salt water) but I might compromise and grow some patches of java moss on them. I love everyone's suggestions though! I probably will use several in the future on different tanks.

Back
Top Bottom