Tricks for viewing nocturnal fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheManichaean

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

Anyone have clever tricks for examining your nocturnal fish? My Snow King Pleco is showing some faded color spots, and I'm concerned about him. He's so shy during the day, though, that he I can't get a good look to see what's wrong.

(I actually think that I've fixed the problem now by ameliorating territorial conflicts between him and my other nocturnal, a 3" loach. The two were constantly tussling so I opened up more low-light real estate by adding a cave and clearing out some rocks from under the drifwood shelter. However, I still want to check out both of them to make sure they're OK.)

Tony

If you really want to get a good look at them, you will have to take them out of the tank. If you want to see their behaviors, leave a bright nite light on a few nights in a row. They will get used to it and then you can sit in the dark and watch the fish. Of course, you may need to invest in night-time googles :?

Deep red lights or LEDs are less perceptable to fish than to us, so although you will not see them as well in the red lights at night, you will see them, as they will think it is still dark.

Christmas is coming--you can still put night-vision googles on your Wish List, IF you have been good this year :wink:

Back
Top Bottom