Tropical aquarium fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquarium_kid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, im thinking about setting up a tropical freashwater aquarium i would like recommendations on what fish i should get i would like fish that are easy to take care of and that are friendly towards other fish. I would like to hear recommendations! Thanks,

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What size tank are you wanting to put them in?

I would say some type of schooling fish, such as a the of tetras. They are very peaceful. I would get six of them. Dwarf Gourami's are great also but I would only get one because they can be aggressive towards their own kind. Also a school of cory catfish are great, one of my favorite, I would say at least 4. Also a kind of shrimp is great but you got to be careful because any shrimp thats big enough to fit in a fishes mouth will be eaten. You may know it but a great website to go to is AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor type in your information and it will tell what fish are suitable for a tank that size. Don't forget to cycle your tank before you put fish an either!

I have a special chemical called stress zyme i dont know if you heard of it but it detoxifies heavy metals in the water and is a beneficial aquarium bacteria that eat sludge, and when i used it in the past, it works great! Should i use it with tropical fish? I dont want the fish to get sick.

Have you read the label? You can trust this product.

Last edited:
I find that this product and the beneficial bacteria pitch is a bit on the far fetched side. Some people have had success.

But they have another product called Stress Coat that will help detoxify the harmful chemicals and metals as well.

I would say some type of schooling fish, such as a the of tetras. They are very peaceful. I would get six of them. Dwarf Gourami's are great also but I would only get one because they can be aggressive towards their own kind. Also a school of cory catfish are great, one of my favorite, I would say at least 4. Also a kind of shrimp is great but you got to be careful because any shrimp thats big enough to fit in a fishes mouth will be eaten. You may know it but a great website to go to is AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor type in your information and it will tell what fish are suitable for a tank that size. Don't forget to cycle your tank before you put fish an either!

Yeah i like cory catfish as well

I use Prime as my conditioner as I only need 2 drops per gallon.

Stress Coat is fine. I've used it. But since I'm running multiple tanks on a budget, Prime is best for me. Plus I can buy it in bulk if needed.

I run my filter on a mature tank or add in a used filter sponge to help my cycle. Plus I have lots of plants. They help cycle faster also IME.

Cories are awesome.
View attachment 289757View attachment 289758View attachment 289759

1 &2 are C sterbai
3rd pic is C habrosus.

I read up at LiveAquaria and Planet Catfish

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/genus.php?genus_id=1

Easy species ?
C aeneus
C trilineatus

Back
Top Bottom