Tropical fish foods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishboy77

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been feeding my fish tropical fish flakes for the last 5 weeks would i just be able to change to frozen foods or would it give the fish a shock or something please help
Fishboy77 

Nothing at all detrimental to their health. If you're going from flakes to frozen, you fish will probably go bananas over the new grub.

I find the cubes easier to use than the SFB "sheet" of brine shrimp. Just need a cup of tank water to dissolve the cube in. If you're worried over brain freeze. let it set for five more minutes. Some strain out the water and rinse. That's too involved for me though but I understand the concern for dirt being added to the water column.

Now I prefer the sheets cause I can take exactly the amount off I want. I use frozen as treats not as a staple. But when I use it I let it thaw in hot water, then pour off the water (to get rid of any color or little bits), and add alittle fresh water back in for easier feeding.

My staple food is New Life Spectrum Thera-A regular and the small sized one too since I have some little fish. Then the tank gets veggies usually 2x a week. Variety is good IMO.

I use a variety . Frozen is my staple but i substitue with flakes and even some shrimp sticks wich my fish seem to love! I feed the frozen cubes thawed out in tank water with a pipette tube.. Alm the fish come up and i can squirt outa little for each fish.. My ftogs even cone up for a bite!

Feeding Your Fish

I have been feeding my fish tropical fish flakes for the last 5 weeks would i just be able to change to frozen foods or would it give the fish a shock or something please help
Fishboy77 

Hello fish...

Frozen is better for your fish. Flakes and freeze dried usually have a list of additives. Most are pretty good, but it's a good idea to check the ingredients. If there's a long list of things you can't pronounce, it's best to avoid feeding it to your fish. Go with the food that has an extremely short list of contents.

Frozen is fairly inexpensive if you feed sparingly. Unless you have fry in the tank, you don't need to feed more than a couple of times a week. Then, just feed what will be eaten in a minute or two. This way the fish spend time foraging and this keeps them healthy and you have a clean tank.

Just a thought.

B

They will love the new food. I went from feeding mine flakes to my homemade gel food. They are going bonkers over it.

Back
Top Bottom