Tropical stocking, continuous update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Puffymcstuff said:
No, maybe when I go back to petsmart, but dwarf neon rainbow sounds correct. Are they kind of like DGs?

With these fish, should I do a male and two females?
Also, one of my five BSTs hides in a corner instead of schooling with the others and only cones out to eat. Is this a problem?

I absolutely adore orange Von rios and serpaes. Which should I do? Also, I think we discussed this, angelfish are a must have for me. I'm going to buy them as babies when I do.
Is there anything else besides DGs and DRs that stay relatively small, and get just as colorful?
Hooray for angels! Remember, angels change the dynamic of a community tank. If you get angels, it means you should probably stay away from species small enough to fit in their mouths ie. neons. When you raise angels from babies with small species, some people have luck keeping everyone alive, but most of the time, angels eat the small species as soon as they can.
Do you know how many angels you want?

absolutangel04 said:
Hooray for angels! Remember, angels change the dynamic of a community tank. If you get angels, it means you should probably stay away from species small enough to fit in their mouths ie. neons. When you raise angels from babies with small species, some people have luck keeping everyone alive, but most of the time, angels eat the small species as soon as they can.
Do you know how many angels you want?

I'm thinking 2-4, idk, it depends on which other fish I get. I already have neons and BSTs and corys, so I'm excited! :)

I'm thinking 2-4, idk, it depends on which other fish I get. I already have neons and BSTs and corys, so I'm excited! :)
Yeah, I was super excited about my angels too. They totally ignore my herd of corys. Just make sure to have lots of plants or other hiding places for the other fish in case the angels get moody (like mated pairs do).

Ok, and how many should I get, I was told to try and get pairs?
I have 3 in a 40 gallon. I know that 3 is not recommended, but it works in my particular tank. Do you want them to breed? The mated pairs go get more aggressive than the singles do (IME). If you want pairs though, you should get like 6 babies and see who pairs up with whom and then give/sell the remainders to a lfs. I do not have any experience with hex tanks, so I do not know how that affects the social dynamic.

Puffymcstuff said:
With these fish, should I do a male and two females?
Also, one of my five BSTs hides in a corner instead of schooling with the others and only cones out to eat. Is this a problem?

Would it be alright if I did a female and a male, so only two, or what?

absolutangel04 said:
I have 3 in a 40 gallon. I know that 3 is not recommended, but it works in my particular tank. Do you want them to breed? The mated pairs go get more aggressive than the singles do (IME). If you want pairs though, you should get like 6 babies and see who pairs up with whom and then give/sell the remainders to a lfs. I do not have any experience with hex tanks, so I do not know how that affects the social dynamic.

Thanks a lot, I will consider this great advice! ;)

i would do a group of 6 atleast, and a hex isnt good for schooling species. whether dwarf rainbows or not, you should look into smaller schoolers if you really want schooling species, like Bauno aire tatra or black skirts or ember tetras or or even harliquins rosboras. just dont get the Dwarf rainbow. stay with schooling species that dont attain over 3 inches.

Thanks JB! They don't achieve over 2.5 inches just unlike my BSTs and petsmart has three so I think that's what I'm goin to go for! Also, how do you sex these fish? And with the harlequin rasboras, I'm pretty sure I'm going to grab those too, idk if they are on sale (petsmart power sale ends today, do I want to take advantage of it) :thumbs:
But other than that, I'm thinking orange Von rios!

An would whitefinned rosy or bleeding heart be a good choice?
Anything else that is that size and gets colorful?

Bleeding heart tetras are one of the best fish I reccomend. They are colorful and pretty and look like serpaes, colombians, and BSTs body-shape wise but do not nip. Unfortunately, I am not sure they will have a lot of room to stretch in there.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Bleeding heart tetras are one of the best fish I reccomend. They are colorful and pretty and look like serpaes, colombians, and BSTs body-shape wise but do not nip. Unfortunately, I am not sure they will have a lot of room to stretch in there.

Alright, thank you. Anybody else?
Any other fish? What does everyone thinks about orange flame Von rios?
And hey! I'm goingto see HP7 today, then I'm going to petsmart afterwards, so I need to figure out cuz my mom doesn't want to be standing in petsmart for ten minutes waiting for me to decide... She's like that lol!! ;)

Alright, thank you. Anybody else?
Any other fish? What does everyone thinks about orange flame Von rios?
And hey! I'm goingto see HP7 today, then I'm going to petsmart afterwards, so I need to figure out cuz my mom doesn't want to be standing in petsmart for ten minutes waiting for me to decide... She's like that lol!! ;)
HP7 was AMAZING!
I have a small school of silver tip tetras. They are not as colorful as some other species, but mine are quite easy goingand I have no nipping issues. They stay at about 2 inches too. Just an idea if some of the more colorful species don't work out. :)

absolutangel04 said:
HP7 was AMAZING!
I have a small school of silver tip tetras. They are not as colorful as some other species, but mine are quite easy goingand I have no nipping issues. They stay at about 2 inches too. Just an idea if some of the more colorful species don't work out. :)

Ikr!
And so we went to petsmart and I picked up:
3 neons
2 dwarf gouramis, male
5 bloodfins

Everyone's schooling together nicely, the bloodfins are even in with the neons!

This brings my stock to:
5 bloodfins
2 DGs
10 neons
5 BSTs
5 corys
3 ghost shrimp
1 pleco

I plan on getting, after a week and a PWC:
Another five tetra (bleeding hearts OR rummynose)
5+ harlequins
5 orange flame Von rios
And 2 baby angels (smaller than a fine and NO bigger)

What do you guys think?
Which should I add next?
Any alterations I should make?

I'll post pics soon! ;)

Ikr!
3 neons
2 dwarf gouramis, male
5 bloodfins

This brings my stock to:
5 bloodfins
2 DGs
10 neons
5 BSTs
5 corys
3 ghost shrimp
1 pleco

5+ harlequins
5 orange flame Von rios

What do you guys think?
Which should I add next?

I'll post pics soon! ;)
the tetras and rabsoras should be in schools of 6+

Ikr!
3 neons
2 dwarf gouramis, male
5 bloodfins

This brings my stock to:
5 bloodfins
2 DGs
10 neons
5 BSTs
5 corys
3 ghost shrimp
1 pleco

5+ harlequins
5 orange flame Von rios

What do you guys think?
Which should I add next?

I'll post pics soon! ;)
Personally, I would wait to add the angel babies until everybody else is established. Even babies can be territorial IME. So, I would add your next group of tetras, wait a bit, add tetras, wait, add tetras, wait, add angel babies.

I'm watching my fish today and I notice that the bloodfin are more or less schooling with the neons... It's sooo cool! The gouramis aren't hiding anymore, and all ten neons are together (that's a new or for me... Bad experiences with neons)!! ;) and also, if I did a PWC, how much should it be, and if I did it today or tomorrow, would it have the desired effect?
PS what is the desired effect?
Cuz it's a possibility I might get fish on Wednesday!! :p

Back
Top Bottom