Trouble feeding bristlenose pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swifty

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm having a bit of trouble feeding my BNP. I dropped in a frozen piece of zucchini in the other day, and my convict immediately swarmed it. Today I dropped in a veggie round from omega one, and the same thing happened.

The pleco is always under the driftwood at feeding time, so what's the best way to get him fed?

Have you tried feeding with the lights out? That's when i feed mine. What about placing the food where the plec hides under the driftwood :)

Pleco's prefer eating at night. Also dropping in frozen zucchini isn't very good. I take zucchini, peel it, cut a couple slices about 1/4" thick, microwave them for a few seconds to soften (don't make them mush), then remove and run them under cold water to stop the cooking process. I clip mine on veggie clips as my BNP knows where to go for them but if you need to you can weigh down the zucchini with something heavy to keep it from floating and place it by it's hiding spot. Also if you cook a few frozen peas in water and then deshell them you can drop them in close to it's feeding spot after lights are off also. These are all my pleco's favorite foods. Then occassionally I drop in a veggie tablet after lights are out.

Well, I cut it into pieces and blanched them. Then I froze them so they can last a little longer. Should I just do fresh only?

I know some memebers fix them, then freeze them for easy use but since it only takes a couple minutes to fix them I just do fresh. It boils down to which way works best for you.

Back
Top Bottom