Trouble finding pool filter sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sobersteve323

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been to Home Depot, OSH and Lowe's and none in my area are stocked with pool filter sand. Do any of you have any other store suggestions that might carry it? I'd prefer a brick and mortar store just so I don't have to pay shipping for ~50 lbs of sand ;)

I've been to Home Depot, OSH and Lowe's and none in my area are stocked with pool filter sand. Do any of you have any other store suggestions that might carry it? I'd prefer a brick and mortar store just so I don't have to pay shipping for ~50 lbs of sand ;)

None of my Home Depot type local stores carry it either and mine was purchased at a local pool supply place.

Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies, the world leader in residential and commercial pool supplies.

Awesome, thanks you two! When I asked employees at all 3 stores, they looked at me like I was crazy. None of them knew what sand I was talking about!

Home Depot employees are kind of hit and miss IMO. Some of them are awesome.... some of them.

It was a mix of different colors. But it is mostly a dark beige. Ours came in a clear bag so we could see what the color was first. Maybe you could ask if there was a bag with a small hole in it to see the color. We put the sand in a friend's tank so I can't get you a picture.

hope all goes well. just remember to rinse rinse rinse. It's going to take a loooong time rinsing. But, IMO, it's worth it. Soooo much cheeper than buying LFS sand. Let me know how it goes. Good luck!

We have a pool and purchase all our supplies from a company called "In The Swim". Even though it weighs a ton, they have free (overnight in many cases) shipping. If they're not offering it on the website, you can look up promo codes on sites like retailmenot.com for free shipping codes.

*This is another company we use with free next day shipping-
http://www.doheny.com/

Last edited:
hope all goes well. just remember to rinse rinse rinse. It's going to take a loooong time rinsing. But, IMO, it's worth it. Soooo much cheeper than buying LFS sand. Let me know how it goes. Good luck!

What luck, there's a Leslie's a few miles from my place. Going to stop there after work and see what they have.

We have a pool and purchase all our supplies from a company called "In The Swim". Even though it weighs a ton, they have free (overnight in many cases) shipping. If they're not offering it on the website, you can look up promo codes on sites like retailmenot.com for free shipping codes.

Swimming Pool Supplies, Pool Equipment, Pool Chemicals - Doheny's Water Warehouse

Thanks Eco, I'll check them out tonight if I can't find any after work.

Not to hijack the thread or anything.. But I'm in the same situation. No stores around here seem to carry any.

But my main question is.. Is silica safe? I've just seen around that supposedly it's not but I'm highly doubting that. But I want to make sure.

Also, is there any specific brands that are good. Or any to stay away from?

Swimming Pool Supplies, Pool Equipment, Pool Chemicals - Doheny's Water Warehouse

Thanks for the link eco! Is this a good price on it? ZeoSand Seems spendy. I can't find it locally either.

Also, how many lbs do I need for a 55 gal?

Back
Top Bottom