Troublemakers in the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Would it be horrible if I put 6 glofish (the neon danios) in a 10 gallon? I know they are supposed to be in a bigger tank.

I had 9 of them in a 20 high which was wrong and they nipped up our glo light tetras.

So moved them to my 75 gallon (only 5 survived the move not sure what happened to the other 3 but they died) :( I have some black neons that look really nipped up and 2 glofish that may have nips as well. I want to pull them all out so it is either:

1. put them in a 10 gallon and see if they in fact are the problem.

2. Find a fish store or craigslist to take them and hope they were the problem fish in the tank.

Any advice for trouble fish? And fishing out who the trouble fish are?

If you know they should be in a larger tank, then yes, it would be horrible to keep them in something smaller.

All of your issues could probably be avoided if you would do species research prior to purchasing and stocking your tanks.

I did do species research. Petsmart says 10 gallon minimum, liveaquaria said 1 gallon minimum. Lots of sites and discussions refer to them in a 10 gallon.

It was here (after my species research) that I discovered, according to other members, a 20 high wasn't LONG enough for them. I didn't have a 20 Long. I put them in a 30 which turned out to be too big for my son's room. They were then moved into my 75 gallon with tetras (red eyed and black neon) assuming that would be the kind thing to do. Knowing that if they require 20 long a 75 gallon is definitely enough.

Doing species research is extremely frustrating and often leads to mistakes due to inconsistent data.

My black neons may be getting nipped up (at least it looks like that might be what started their infection) so I want the glo danios out. I only have a 10 gallon.

Seems the kind thing to do at this point is to give them away. I hope I am right and it is them causing the problem otherwise I will have to give away another school and eventually will only have one. I was just thinking the 10 gallon could be a 'holding' tank so to speak until I figure it out.

Keeping 6 glofish in a 10g doesn't seem like a problem to me, with good water quality and filtration I say go for it...I'd do 10! I keep 6 cardinal tetras in a 5g Fluval Chi so I guess that means I'm a terrible aquarist according to most sites.

Aqadvisor even says that they are ok in a 10 gallon. I am confused as to where the right information is for research.

Aqadvisor even says that they are ok in a 10 gallon. I am confused as to where the right information is for research.

Stocking guidelines are there to help newer aquarist, just use a little common sense to aquarium stocking and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom