Tru Vu aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone have a Tru Vu aquarium out of curiosity? Or know what im talking about? If so, can you give me some information on it.
Im thinking about selling the one I have. I looked online and the retail value for a 40gal with no light fixtures, in the same style that I have is $240 something dollars. Im thinking of selling it for a better aquarium... any imputs on this brand?

If you do a search for tru-view (search all terms) you'll find some hits. The only place I've seen them sold is a store that carries mainly Oceanic tanks.

Hmm I did a search and thats how I found out the retail value. If I keep this tank I need a better lighting system then what it came with. And I really don't want to buy that online...

Okay, im redirecting my question. How easy is it to make a stand? I know that sounds kinda naive but my dad is good at projects like that.

I think what I don't like about my aquarium is it has no stand or case built for it.

Sorry my thoughts are so scattered, Im just to figure out what I want to do with this tank- keep it or sell it.

Making a stand is easy if you or someone you know has worked with wood much. Just use real wood and make thing thing strong enough to hold more than double the weight of the tank with no issues. This way you do not have to worry about it :)

hehe im all excited now! I really think if I made a stand for it the tank would look SO much nicer than how I have it now!

I have a 37g Tru Vu and love it (probobly the same size you have). I personally like acrylic better than glass.

Build a stand and matching canopy for the top and you will be amazed at how much nicer it looks. While your building the canopy you can incorprate the lighting into it. IMO a nicely built canopy really sets off a tank. I hate the way my tank looks without the canopy. Also, make sure you build some vents or cooling fans into the canopy to disapate heat generated by the lights :wink:

UGHHHHH..........sorry for the double post. Thats the second time thats happened to me on here for some strange reason :?

Mojo Troll said:
I have a 37g Tru Vu and love it (probobly the same size you have). I personally like acrylic better than glass.

Build a stand and matching canopy for the top and you will be amazed at how much nicer it looks. While your building the canopy you can incorprate the lighting into it. IMO a nicely built canopy really sets off a tank. I hate the way my tank looks without the canopy. Also, make sure you build some vents or cooling fans into the canopy to disapate heat generated by the lights :wink:

Where did u get ur lighitng? How much was it?
I am making a stand, if you look in my photogallery my design is there =o)

Looks like a great design lyquid. The crown molding on the canopy is a really nice touch. When you get the stand and canopy complete you are going to be surprised how much better your tank looks. It will jump out at you and say "look at me".

I could'nt tell by your plans, but make sure you put a hinge on the top of your canopy for daily feeding. I have mine set up for the front half to hinge for daily feeding and such. With the back half used for mounting the lighting. I remove the entire canopy for water changes, cleaning etc.....

As far as lighting. It all depends on your set up. It appears you do'nt have any live plants, so you need lighting for viewing the fish. The hood you are currently running could be modified to work in your new canopy.

On the other hand, if you want live plants. You'll need to get strong enough lighting to supply approx. 2-2.5 wgp for healthy plant growth.

It should be tall enough where I can leave the canopy open. I might put a hinge on the side to swing open and get inside. But once I have everything in front of me, I can get a better idea of what ezakly I want to do with the canopy.

I bought my tank off ebay, and the hood they have on it it 24in long (when it should be closer to 36in) So I would prefer to buy a better, more fitting hood. I don't plan on having live plants at this point so a simple hood would work I don't think Ive seen a hood that fits an acrylic aquarium (or maybe im not looking hard enough)

I honestly can't help on hoods you can buy. Personally I like to build my own canopy's. So, I'm pretty much clueless on that one.

I'm not exactly sure if I understand how you want to do your canopy. If you plan on doing trim around the top of the tank and leave the top open, putting a hinge on the side is going to be difficult. Hinges require reinforcement (bracing) to be structurally solid. A hinge on the face that swings open would be very difficult to brace and make work.

Take a look at any hood or canopy in LFS's. Does'nt matter if it's plastic or wood. It's far easier to reinforce a hinge on top that swings up.

Then I might do that instead. I was just worried it might get too hot or something- thats why I figured Id leave the top part open. Or maybe I will leave the top part open with no hinges anywhere =o)

Who knows!

Back
Top Bottom