True Julie or False Julie Corydoras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Old Scales

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have six of these and of them I have two spawning pair now. ? To you catfish gurus out there if what I have are true or false Julies. Picture attached.\Thank You, OS.

Attachments

• DSCF0993.jpg
    DSCF0993.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 1,093
Not an expert by any means but I am guessing false. Looks like mine , I posted a picture in another thread and was not sure myself what mine are.. Majority of the responses went to false juli.

Fun fish , very happy with mine.

Definitely false. The head of the cory usually tells the difference. If there's dots (just dots), then it's usually a true one; if its connected dots, or lines, then it's usually a false. Which is also why false ones are also called "3 lined cories", because the body may also have connected dots, or lines across its body. :) most stores sell them as true ones, because of how similar they look, and it's been said that true ones are harder to find.

I am getting these cories myself! :D

Thanks for the reply Fishing,
These are my favorite type of Cory. I've read the true Julies are also harder to get to spawn. If you give these false Julies a good diet with, like frozen bloodworms, tubifex, brine shrimp two or three times a week they will definitely pair up and spawn. Seems they are amourous little boogers! LOL. OS.

Btw personally I don't call them False. They are Corydoras trilineatus or 3 Lined Cories.

There are many species that are sold as C julii that are not julii. So False julii is just another name for a bunch of species that look similar to julii. Nothing false about them, except for being mis ID'd.

True C julii have tiny spots on their face and aren't common in many areas. They tend to cost more when you can find them in some cases.

Planet Catfish has great pics of trilineatus as well as julii.

Cousair,
thanks for the skinny on Planet Catfish. Excellent site for info on my Corys.
Thanks Aqua for the compliment. These trilis are my favorites in the tank. So entertaining. OS.

Back
Top Bottom