trying to get bacteria on new sponges

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keeper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a new small tank that has a aquaclear mini on it. I currently have tossed 2 sponges into one of my established tanks. How long do you all think I should wait until I put them in the new tank. Also, how long after I put the sponges in the new tank filter should I wait to put my fish in? Hope this makes sense!

I'm not sure I understand Keeper. Are these sponge filters, or just sponges. Sponge filters will accumulate nitrifying bacteria much quicker than a sponge because the water is being drawn through it.

Once the sponges have been seeded (1 to 2 weeks), you should add the fish right away :wink:

I agree. When you get the new, seeded filter set up in the new tank, add the fish right away to feed the newly cultivated bacteria. If you wait, the bacteria that you cultivated will die.

I think I was tired when I wrote that.

What I have is an already established tank. I have thrown 2 new clean aquaclear mini sponges into the tank itself. Will they collect enough bacteria so that when I put them in the new filter for the new tank the cycle will pretty much complete itself? I feel kinda like a dumbass today.....brain not working!!

Back
Top Bottom