Trying to remain *~CALM~*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmpgop

Aquarium Advice Freak
So early last week my 10 gallon tank became cycled - took about two weeks for the fishless cycle. After which, I used a psychotic danio I have for two days to test with and keep it cycled.

On Wednesday, I added my 11 baby Cherry Barbs - removed the danio. That day I had picked up a sponge cover to go over the filter intake on the HOB as some of the babies are small and I was concerned they would get sucked up if not strong enough swimmers. I have been testing the water each day.

Was 0 amm, 0 trites, 20-40 trates, 8.4 ph (I have hard water).

On Friday the trates were up to 40ish +... So I did a partial water change (about 1/3rd), added prime, tested that evening and all was good.

Today, Sunday; Ammonia is at .25-.50 ish. 0 trites 20-40 ppm trates.

I have thought through everything. I do have.50 ammonia from my tap, but the water was zero ammonia that evening after the change. I truly believe I have an established biofilter - I did it all right down to the letter for the Fishless cycle. I have not removed any of the *seeded* media. I have one older filter under the gravel, and one in the HOB filter with a new filter (both from other tanks I have).

The only difference I could think of is/was the sponge filter over the intake that I added. So I removed it. I think the babies are strong enough - they really swim well - what truly are the chances of getting sucked up by a 20 gallon filter? Probably minimal...

I have nursed these babies since December 4th when I discovered them. I'm nervous and trying to remain calm. I added a bit of Prime today, removed the sponge filter from over the intake on the HOB. Will test this evening perhaps? I don't really want to do a water change as I add back in the same amount of ammonia that is there right now. So what would be the point???

I have only lost 3 of the 14 babies I had. Pretty good stats... I'd like to keep it that way!

Any thoughts? Thank you!!!

:banghead:

Janelle

They are tiny little babies... Really... ;) I got told on another thread after I cycled to add more fish to keep the filter strong so I did and now I added too many? Seriously, the biggest fish is REALLY like 1/3 of an inch (maybe a 1/2 of an inch) in size. Little babies!

The danio I had in there was about 2 inches. He's huge! And was beating up on my other danios to the point they couldn't recover before I realized what was going on. The 4 others died over two weeks... After two of them died, I had then moved him in with my Cherry Barbs :( Sigh...

ANYWHO!

Should I worry or just believe in the Prime and think it'll come down? Soon!

Thanks!

You added the Prime before adding the new water right? And don't be afraid to add a little extra. It takes a lot to overdose Prime. You can safely double the amount.

I added prime while I was filling the water in to my pitcher I use for my tanks. So yes - I did about a 1/2 cap which would be for 25 gallons. And I added more prime today.

My babies - Such an accomplishment IMHO so I'd really like to keep the 11 that I have alive.

HOw did you cycle the tank? Tanks can't cycle fully in 2 weeks unles you used a lot of established media from another tank. Did you add an ammonia source in those two weeks? If you just let the tank run without adding ammonia then sorry it wasn't cycled to begin with. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding.

Yes yes yes... It is fully cycled.

To restate: I used 2 filters from 2 different very established tanks to cycle. One under the gravel, one in the HOB filter.

For 10 days prior to dosing ammonia, I had deli shrimp in the tank.

The filters I used were one from my 36 gallon and another from my other 10 gallon.When I removed the shrimp, I water changed, then I dosed pure ammonia keeping it at 4ppm watching the trites and trates and ph. It took 13 days from that water change for the Fishless Cycle.

IT WENT FULLY THROUGH THE FISHLESS CYCLE! Not established, but cycled. And it can take 2 weeks to cycle a tank. I did it...

I tracked ammonia, trites, trates daily, dosing ammonia, etc.And yes used really established media from a 7 month old tank (and a 7 month old filter only EVER tank water rinsed) and a 3 year old tank (with a 2 month old filter only EVER tank rinsed. That Media is still in the tank).

ALSO as mentioned above; The sponge on the intake of the filter was ADDED AFTER it cycled to protect the baby fish from being sucked up. I took it off now 3 days later AFTER I noticed the tiny bit of ammonia this morning. There is NO needed colonized bacteria in that sponge to keep it cycled... I added on Wednesday.

I try to be as clear as possible in my posts.

I tend to lean toward 11 (little little little) babies may have been too many though I believe it was Hholly who told me to add more fish to keep it cycled.

Anyway - I'll figure it out I guess.

I guess all this has done is shatter my faith in a fishless cycle (following the directions on here) and will think real hard about adding fish when I'm done in my 72 gallon.

Janelle

Sorry, I didn't mean to steer you wrong. I just know that the beneficial bacteria colony adjusts in relation to the ammonia available. At least that's how I understood it to be. I don't know how long you only had one fish in there. But it may have been long enough that some of your BB died off. A tank fully cycled with 4ppm of ammonia can be fully stocked at the completion of the cycle. Remaining calm is a good idea. If it was fully cycled, things should even out in no time. Just do water changes as necessary.

Thank you... I just tested the water again and the traces of ammonia are gone. It is back to zero - so maybe I didn't stay as calm as I thought and should withhold from posting my concerns. Truly I guess I was looking for reassurance I guess that I shouldn't worry and what I got was really more worries and suggestions that I did something wrong when I painstakingly tracked this cycle. AND made sure I did it right.

Anywho - 8am today is when I tested, I removed the sponge and primed - - 9:30 is when I posted this issue, 2:30 I tested again. And it is good...

I can only think that maybe not having the the sponge over the filter is a better idea.

I'm just glad I'm testing every day. But I'm trying to use this forum to ask questions as well as help others.

It gets frustrating.

Janelle

The tank is only a couple weeks old, these things happen in newly setup tanks. Even if it's reading 0's and all that, it's still relatively new so just the slightest things can throw it off a little bit.

Glad things are looking better. It seems like mini-cycles happen easily in newer tanks. The first time I rinsed one of my 2 filter pads, mine did a mini-cycle. But it was over pretty quick. It's good that you pay such close attention to things. Good luck with those fry.

Back
Top Bottom