Tuesday - Bringin My Pleco Home!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Go Count and GouramiFanatic!

My poor Fred the common has had to go through several changes of environment (from original tank to the 55 to teardown of 55 and back in) and he is doing great. I think he grows an inch every time he has to be in a bucket for a few hours..... :D

Thanks for the help and support through all of this. I really was stressing over it, but so far it looks as though everything will be ok. I put in a slice of zucchini and shut all of the lights off for a couple of hours so I could do some other stuff around the house. When I went back in to check on him he was happily muching away on it. Of course when I grabbed my camera he hurried up and went into hiding.

At the risk of sounding like a complete moron, do you think he'll still know me as 'mom'? I mean it's a new home for him and he's got to adjust to it, but will he be able to tell that I'm still the same person or will he have to readjust to me as well?

GouramiFanatic
glad to hear all is going well. Can we have an update?

Thanks Musket, I intended on posting an update today so you had perfect timing! :)

Count seems to be settling in very well. A couple of the Gouramis nipped at him once or twice, but I think that was more or less just a curiousity thing to make sure it wasn't food or something. I haven't seen any nipping at all lately. He has been eating very well. I left a slice of zucchini in overnight last week and when I woke up there was a huge hole in the middle. He spends much more time out of hiding now than he did in the 46 gallon. There are a few good hiding spots for him, but he seems to want to be out hanging on the glass. Hopefully, this is a good sign!

There are some updated pics of him on the page below. The last three photos are the newest batch.
http://www.whalesightings.com/fish/fish.html

Wow, those really are excellent photos. I wish my camera had a manual zoom so I could take decent pics.

Well, it was a week ago today that Mr. Pleco came home with me and he's still alive and seemingly doing very well. I'm very relieved to hit the week mark as I think this is a sign that he has adjusted fine and that he'll be ok for years to come.

He still comes out of hiding much more now than he did in the 46 gallon. This may be because he's got so much more room to sprawl out in or maybe he's still scoping things out. Either way, I'm enjoying the fact that I get to see him so much now. He has 3 favorite hiding spots, his favorite spot now seems to be in the caves that I made. It's a double decker made of slate and river rocks. Another seems to be on a fake piece of drift wood and his last isn't really a hiding spot, but he likes hanging on the back of the tank where the bubble wall is. I guess he likes the bubble feeling. :)

I'll try to get some more pics tomorrow of him to post. Thanks again for everyone who offered advice to me. I was very nervous about this move, but everything seems to have worked out just fine. :)

your pleco chews a hole through the middle too?

wasnt sure if that was just my kissing gourami's for the longest time

Back
Top Bottom