Turbo Start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alivenwell82

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started cycling my 10 gallon with a product called Turbo Start 21 days ago. It is refrigerated, like Bio-Spira, and claims to cycle your tank in five days with live bacteria. It sells for six bucks for a six ounce bottle that treats 40 gallons. It did not cycle my tank in five days. However, I have completed the cycle in a reasonable 21 days with no catastrophic ammonia or nitrite spikes, despite a medium-sized bio-load (see sig.). The spikes were noticable, but limited. The highest ammonia reading was .25 ppm and the nitrites reached 1-2 ppm only one day. This was with 25 percent water changes daily on days 10-15.

None of this means anything conclusive. But it was a reasonable, though not instant, cycle that, as near as I can tell based on water parameters and their behavior, didn't seem to bother my fish at all. If you can get bio-spira, you probably should. But if you can't, I have no complaints with Turbo Start.

I'm not familiar with that product. I use Seachem's Stability myself, although I have never had the occasion to start a tank from scratch since I started using it. I'm able to jump start my tanks using sponges from an already established tank.

gheitman said:
I'm able to jump start my tanks using sponges from an already established tank.

This is what I did, using filter media from a friends well established tank.

Back
Top Bottom