Turning filter off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

connorilles14

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have my 32g tank set up in my bedroom. I'm running a aquaclear 70 on it but I find the humming of my filter is far to loud for me to sleep. Does anyone see any problems arising from me shutting down my filter nightly from around 10:30pm to 4:30am?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you do that the beneficial bacteria in the filter you have will die and you will have to cycle your tank again, so that's not a good idea.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The bacteria colony and cycle will be just fine leaving the filter off for several hours at a time.

The bacteria colony and cycle will be just fine leaving the filter off for several hours at a time.

As long as the filter media doesn't dry out it's not going to harm the colony of bacteria. When I shut mine off for water changes I lay a tank-water-wet washcloth over the top. I have the 50. The water level drops a lot when it's off.

Then remember to fill it with water before restarting.

Whether your tank can deal without the filtration isn't something we can answer. Try it, test, try it again, test again.

You must have a very quiet room!

Have you tried raising the water level? Using the doodad to make the filter itself more level?

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Yes aquaclears have a tendency of back siphoning the water from the filter body if the water level is too low. Too, if the water level is low enough to do that then it will not reprime itself and will not work without manually adding water. Something to keep in mind for those prone to power outages.

Even if your bacteria in the filter does die you still have bacteria in your tank whether it be on plants, decor or substrate.

NatureFish
????

Does the filter run quieter with the lid off? Worth a shot.
Also, sometimes the act of unplugging and plugging it back once or twice when it is running sometimes helps with the humming.

Yes aquaclears have a tendency of back siphoning the water from the filter body if the water level is too low. Too, if the water level is low enough to do that then it will not reprime itself and will not work without manually adding water. Something to keep in mind for those prone to power outages.

In my 50, purchased in August, it takes about 20 minutes of being off for that to happen, even with a full tank.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I have a 10 gallon in my room with a cheap aqueon filter on it. It's a QT at the moment that I keep-semi cycled. (add ammonia once a month or so to keep some BB alive)
It was LOUD until I did this:
I used some surgical tubing available at ACE hardware as a vibration damper. My original plan was to cut the tubing and attach it to the tank, but I don't think I would cut it up now. I still need to cut and glue the pieces into a permanent configuration. I put the tubing between the filter and the plastic ring up top and where the filter touches the glass in the back.

Don't know if you'd be willing to try this, but I had to start wearing ear plugs because my dogs snore so bad and I can hear my filter from the other room. I can guarantee wearing ear plugs won't affect your bacteria at all! Just a suggestion, it helps me. :)

Between the dog and the husband I started wearing ear plugs a long time ago. They just happen to come in really handy when I got my Bio Wheel! Lol, I don't hear any of it anymore and my bacteria is fine! Lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it the impeller making noise. You could try replacing the impeller or use a DIY fix (found online).

take out the filter, remove the impeller part and make sure its in the spot it should be tight (theres a small hole that the impeller fits in) if its secure it wont hum. Also, there is a tendency for filters to hum a bit before they build up a "film" on them.

Thanks everyone for the input, will try a few of the suggestions I received and post back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use dishwasher sponges to quit the hob in my bedroom. I put a sponge between the filter and the tank and there is a noticing reduction of noise

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use dishwasher sponges to quit the hob in my bedroom. I put a sponge between the filter and the tank and there is a noticing reduction of noise

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I need to try that!

NatureFish
????

Back
Top Bottom