Turning filter off for treating with furan-2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Aquaforce

Aquarium Advice Freak
Do I absolutely have to turn of the filtration system while I use furan-2? I don't want to disturb my tanks parameters???

You are NOT supposed to shut your filter off for many meds I am aware of?
Certainly not furan2..
Welcome to API Fishcare: FURAN-2™ POWDER
Good chance it will effect your parameters, but you have no control over it,besides to have the tank and filter as clean as possible so the med can be as effective as possible.
As always with out experience follow the directions and remove carbon.

As above. Generally filtration stays running as is (unless carbon needs removing). On established tanks it seems (a working theory) that the bacterial population in the tank are stronger.

You might get away with it off for a few days (longer for HOB) but the lack of air will change it from aerobic to anaerobic and the bacteria are then lost anyways.

The key is taking the carbon out while using medicine and then putting it back when you are finished with med. to help clear it out. Be sure you check your water for a while for ammonia, Etc. in case of minicycle.

New carbon. Don't put the old carbon back.
Okay guys will do that! Thank you all for the input!! however due to me being unsure about what to do, I went ahead and used seachem paraguard, seems to be helping my sick angel quite significantly to the point he abuses/bullies my other angel in the tank to the point his dorsal fin is split down top to bottom in the middle and he hasn't eaten... seems like he tries but all he ends up doing is gasping air right next to the food flakes. Have isolated him in the aquarium using a large fish net.

Did a water change this morning around 5-6, things look better water wise, however I just happened to discover small small white worm like critters?

Back
Top Bottom