Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-31-2009, 03:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Turtle Tank

Hi Everyone.

I am looking to start a turtle tank but have no idea where to start or what I need.

I am looking to have 2 turtles and only really want a small tank.

Any suggestions or imput greatly appreciated.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok i dont have one but since no one answered yet ill try and help. what is a small tank to you? most turtles do best with some kind of land area plus the water. they sell floating logs other people use rocks. i dont know any turtle species off hand so i cant point you that direction but i think they need nice sized tank. 55 gallons is what i see most people have them in or bigger. maybe there are other kinds that might be able to go in smaller tank.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

a baby could go in a small tank but not for long. i had a baby red eared slider in a 10 15 or 20 gallon- cant remember which
for over a year and he grew alot, and really needed more room for a smaller tank , just keep 1, much easier
Old 08-01-2009, 03:33 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Dont like idea of 1 turtle. Want him/her to have some company for there life.

I will try a 20 gallon tank and see how it goes.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:46 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

As to the land/water thing - it's also possible to slope your substrate and have a small shore in your tank.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardo48 View Post
Hi Everyone.

I am looking to start a turtle tank but have no idea where to start or what I need.

I am looking to have 2 turtles and only really want a small tank.

Any suggestions or imput greatly appreciated.
I think stinkpot turtles would suit

A friend has one and its been3 inches for a year though it is mentioned they get to 4-5 inches

I haven't a clue though if it IS suitable. As with any pet you need to research this information to death and then some.

Has
Old 08-01-2009, 11:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

they dont need company, 2 turtles would just be more food, filtration and tank space needed. a 20 gallon for a small one would be fine, even two babies, but they WILL grow, and if you follow our advice and care for them properly, they will grow fast.

get some gravel and slope it up to make a land area.

they like to eat crayfish ,worms ,shrimp of all kinds(thawed frozen, dried), turtle pellets, crickets, june beetles, small fish, etc

get a suitable filter, they are messy eaters and make lots of waste.

they also neep a lamp that gives off light that mimics sunlight, reptile bulbs are dont cost that much and worked for me. just read about turtles, there is plenty of info.

hope you enjoy your turtle!
Old 08-01-2009, 11:43 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Don't ever feed them in their tank. Remove them to a basin, feed them and wait till they evacuate before returning them to their tank. This will save a lot of maintenance and filter cleaning. They are very dirty.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have 2 eastern Painted Sliders that I bought for my wife for Xmas this past year. They are in a 55 gallon tank. I use a Marineland magnum 350 canister filter. Lighting I use one side with a standard T8 Fluorescent on the other under a ZOO Med Combo hood that has 2 60watt sockets and 18 inch fluorescent light. The Fluorescent is a UVB and I use 1 bulb with a Zoo Med 50 watt Basking bulb. One of the things I would do different would be to buy a BIG floating dock straight away have bought 3 of those things now. I the 8 months she has had them now they have double maybe tripled in size

Well anyways if you have any questions let me know I will be more than happy to give you some advice.

PS 1 Turtle would be best. Imho I once read in a book Your turtle is not lonely and he don't need a friend. I agree because of having 2 turtles I think at some point I will need a larger tank.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:41 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

How much do you think it will cost altogether to setup a basic turtle tank, 20 gallons or so with everything i need

lights
heater
etc

Thanks

Tags
tan, turtle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com