Tv light entering tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollabill420

Aquarium Advice Freak
What everyones opinion on tv light going into ur aquariums at night? I have been covering mine is such a way that some gets in to emulate a bit of moon but not much and then light in the morning can still come in so they wake up naturally, does anyone else worry about this or am I paranoid, it's seems they won't fully sleep if not covered and I'm up till sunbreak playin video games. I even cover my crestie gecko tank in this manner seems to work been doing it for over a year with the ones that are adjacent to the tv

I have my lights timed to my convenience. Why not have the aquarium lights on at night when you're in the room to appriciate them, and have the lights off when you're at work/school?

dskidmore said:
I have my lights timed to my convenience. Why not have the aquarium lights on at night when you're in the room to appriciate them, and have the lights off when you're at work/school?

I work around my fishes natural cycle of light that the county they hail from, they need there sleep just like us. Sometimes I'm up all night and have actually seen it mess up there cycle so I cover it up. Remember we put them in a glass jail they didn't go there by choice so it's our job to emulate natural conditions to make them happy and healthy. I would have the lights on at all times of the night if I kept all light sources out during the day and made there cycle at a opposite time, but it's easier to work with mother nature then to work against her lol plus it's cheaper, artificial lights are more for viewing then creating conditions unless have really short days in winter then use at night to extend their days as it is in there native waters, ever go diving? It's not high powered lighting there is more of a soft calming light

If you have thick curtians, it is pretty dark during the day. It's just an offset cycle, I'm not suggesting you change it up every day or make it longer than it should be.

dskidmore said:
If you have thick curtians, it is pretty dark during the day. It's just an offset cycle, I'm not suggesting you change it up every day or make it longer than it should be.

Yeh just have it a different time, mite try that get some thick curtains, would be nice to have em awake when I am the fish will be night owls like me lol thanks for the advice

yeah it's a little overboard imo. It's nice to have lights on a timer so the fish have a routine, but it's not totally necessary. I've got timers sitting on my shelf that I've yet to bother setting up for months now lol.

I run plant filtration. (Most biological filtration is done by plant growth.) If I leave the lights off for a day my tank will go all out of wack. I've got to have the lights on for a minimum number of hours per day, so I always use a timer.

dskidmore said:
I run plant filtration. (Most biological filtration is done by plant growth.) If I leave the lights off for a day my tank will go all out of wack. I've got to have the lights on for a minimum number of hours per day, so I always use a timer.

Yeh I imagine, Is there any that can be grown with visible light from the sun? Not direct just refracted, the timer must make em grow beast I know it works with my other plants

jetajockey said:
yeah it's a little overboard imo. It's nice to have lights on a timer so the fish have a routine, but it's not totally necessary. I've got timers sitting on my shelf that I've yet to bother setting up for months now lol.

I like shutting the lights off and looking at em while I'm there, find there ain't much to do anyway so keep it by hand

I have the same issue and since the screen can be on late into the night I cover the end/front closest to it with a towel most nights so they can settle down and sleep. When I don't cover it, they are more restless so I figure covering it can't hurt. They've been observed a few time grouped together near the screen end, seemingly watching TV :popcorn: lol.

Mr. Limpet said:
I have the same issue and since the screen can be on late into the night I cover the end/front closest to it with a towel most nights so they can settle down and sleep. When I don't cover it, they are more restless so I figure covering it can't hurt. They've been observed a few time grouped together near the screen end, seemingly watching TV :popcorn: lol.

Yeh I noticed the same thing I knew I wasn't crazy, I think they like the flashes bahaha distracts them too much to rest :p

Yeh I imagine, Is there any that can be grown with visible light from the sun? Not direct just refracted, the timer must make em grow beast I know it works with my other plants
I've had a windowsill tank before with a small light for viewing, but artificial light gives you more control. I might try it again someday, but my current house does not have a good window for it.

As long as you do the changes in increments, the system will adapt

As long as you do the changes in increments, the system will adapt
Sure, if I wanted to dump the plants and move to mechanical filtration I could. However, I don't want to. :) I was just pointing out the benefits of using a light timer when running with plant filtration, and how regular lighting is as important to my system as a running filter is to most others.

Back
Top Bottom