Two new tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vaquero

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have two 10 gallon tanks that both will be empty soon. One is empty and one has some fry in it. When they are both free, I want to set these up with regular fish. I am looking for suggestions on what to fill them with. I have a 25 already filled with Gouramis so it would have to be something else. Colorful would be a plus as my wife is letting these go into the living room with the 25 and 55 tanks I have, so long as they are colorful and that the fish won't have to be moved to another bigger tank. I know that there is a craze/fad about cichlids. So maybe there are colorful ones that can go into a 10 gallon tank??? Please help out if you can, oh and I DO NOT want Betta's, barbs, or Cory's.
Thanks all

There are 'shell dwellers' I've recently learned about. Or dwarf cichlids though technically they are recommended for bigger tanks.

Molly's can be pretty and colorful also. Or maybe you could switch it up since you have other fish tanks and for frogs or crabs? Or some neat shrimp with a couple pretty top dwellers?

I have a 10 gallon that has ghost shrimp, fancy guppies, and mystery snails in it. Very simple to take care of and I love it! Never a dull moment because all of the species are very active. I wish I had live plants but I haven't gotten to that yet. Still rocking plastic ones, but here is mine.

Attachments

• image-2416722297.jpg
    image-2416722297.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 90
I have Platty and Molly they are very colorful and peaceful to watch. My favorite are the creamsicle molly and the sunburst platty.

All very good ideas. I may have to research a little more but one of the ideas really sparked my imagination. I am still looking for that really unique tank(s) to set up and play with(not salt water yet). Defiantly a self supporting tank with minimal upkeep as such. Of coarse there is with any tank an amount of upkeep, but that is one reason we are in this hobby, right? So keep your ideas coming and do remember that I am trying for two separate 10 gallon tanks. I am also going to stack them in a really nice shelf system I have already picked out, so keep that in mind also. I guess I would want them both to be in sync with each other as well. At the end, I will let you all know who's idea won and why. Thank you all for your ideas and inspirations.

Most of the fish mentioned need bigger tanks, Molly's need 20 and I seriously doubt there are any dwarf cichlids that should be in a ten. Also you have altered the size of your fish on aqadvisor to meet your needs not theirs, you rainbows get a lot bigger than 1 in and in a 10 that stock list would surely destroy your water parameters pretty quick. Some would be fine though if you were planning to move them to a bigger tank but you've already mentioned that's out of the question. Unfortunately you're fairly limited with a ten gallon, but there are suitable fish for them.

Shrimp species tanks have also become really popular. They're really fun!

yes sizes are just for the start up tank, so I did use juvenile sizes. Wouldn't it work out if I just reduced the number of each species?? I already have a gouramis tank so that's out too.

vaquero said:
yes sizes are just for the start up tank, so I did use juvenile sizes. Wouldn't it work out if I just reduced the number of each species?? I already have a gouramis tank so that's out too.

I could understand using juvie sizes(still think that list would be pushing it) if you were planning to move them to a bigger tank, but I thought the deal with your gf that you could put them in a room as long as they were colorful and wouldn't have to be moved to another tank? Unless you absolutely KNOW you'll be upgrading to a bigger tank I never use juvenile sizes on aqadvisor for a small tank. You should always plan on their adult size when setting up a tank, 5 4inch rainbows would find it pretty tough to get around in a ten. Try to stick with fish that stay around 2.5inches for a ten gallon, and rams should have a 20 gallon tank at least since they're pretty sensitive to water changes and in smaller tanks changes happen faster.

Just bought some (3) Scissortail Rasbora for the fry tank, that way when the fry are gone, I'll have some established fish in the ten gallon to help start it on it's way. Here is a picture I found online.

Attachments

• Black-Scissortail-Rasbora.jpg
    Black-Scissortail-Rasbora.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 58
Back
Top Bottom