Two Plecos in one tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newhobbist

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have Gold Nugget Pleco and really enjoy seeing it in my tank. Since the tank is 72g, and GN grows only to 4-5", adding another pleco shouldn't be a problem. Or should it?
I've heard that some plecos like company of their own when others (GN was named one of them) are said to be kept alone. How true is that? And, if that is true, does it matter if I add different pleco, and not GN? So far, I'm thinking about getting Albino Bristlenose Pleco, but am open to suggestions. The only conditions I have are that it should be "dwarf" Pleco (not more than 8" when adult) and it should be nicely colored. I like Royal Pleco, but it grows too big.

It's hit or miss if they will get along but in a tank big enough, you should be fine. I keep multiple pleco species together.

I have multiple "dwarf" plecos in a 50 gal and they are fine. Also, I have 3 commons in an 80. They get along okay and one day they will be in a bigger tank (two were "rescue" fish).

newhobbist, you need to get in touch with BrianNY!! I have two albino plecos from him from the first AA BBQ. If you are not part of the New York/New Jersey forum, you are missing out!

I have 3 bristlenose pleco's in my 80 gallon and they all get along. One in awhile I will see them fight over food, but other then that, they are very peaceful towards each other.

As for the albino pleco, that is an excellent choice. I love the albino BN. Expect to pay some good money for them though. I've seen some juvies (about 2inches) ranging from $25-40 per fish.

newhobbist, you need to get in touch with BrianNY!! I have two albino plecos from him from the first AA BBQ. If you are not part of the New York/New Jersey forum, you are missing out!
I have registered at NY/NJ forum when I registered at AA and completely forgot about it!!! Do you have something like a club with meetings and everything?

What is the min tank size for Bristlenose Plecs?

Over here in the UK they are quite often seen in tanks such as 13 gals.
I kept mine in a 33 gal and they actually made babies for me lol :)

I personally wouldn't put them in anything smaller then a 29 gallon. I haven't seen one bigger then 5 inches, but remember they do produce a lot of waste.

Have you heard of the Greater City Aquarium Club?

No, I haven't. Where can I get some info about it?

The GCAS meets at the Queens Botanical Garden the 1st Wednesday of each month. All meetings start at 7:30 pm.

If you need directions, let me know.
Thank you. I've never attended such events, but I'm considering going to the next Wednesday's meeting. Do I have to be this society member to go there?

I also found that there is also the Brooklyn Aquarium Society.

Membership is not required for attendance. However, the membership fee of $20.00 gives you access to the monthy raffles, the Society Newsletter and other events (and goodies).

The Brooklyn Club is a partner of the GCAS!

If you do decide to come, you would be more than welcome. There is an auction every meeting. I got nine baby bristlenose pleco's (along with some other goodies) for $10.00 at last month's meeting. :)

The GCAS has some of the most talented and respected hobbyists in the City. You will be amazed at the variety of fish that are brought in for auctions.

Back
Top Bottom