Two questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have Miracle Gro Organic capped with sand in a 20g and have never had a problem with it. I used 1-1/2" of sand so my Corys don't get down to the soul when rooting around. Plants are happy and fish are happy. Follow jwh0818's advice and all should be well.

Honestly here is the best way and yes I've done this more than 10 times. Compltely empty the tank, pick up a bag of miracle grow organics pitting mix (see pic) and add about 1 1/2 - 2" in the bottom but make sure you break up the large chunks. Flatten it out and make sure its level. Now add your prewashed sand or fine gravel (dont use normal gravel, its to large and the soil will pass through it) to the top. About 1" - 2" and level it out. Kind of push down on it so its a bit compacted (you will tank me later for that tip) now place a plate in the tank to aid in not splashing everything around and add water extremely slow. Once filled it should look really clear.
I have never poked the soil either and I don't get air bubbles at all escaping.
Miracle grow organics

Pic taken as soon as I added the water

Been running this one about 6-8 months

Do this and your set. Follow all the instructions and there won't be any problems

Do you have to put soil down for a planted tank? I have all sand substrate with 2 amazon sword plants. Newly planted and I had no idea that soil was even an option. Are they gonna root and survive in only sand?

Hello Ring,
They should grow just fine in sand only. Just be sure and play some root tabs close to the swords for nutrients. They should root and grow just fine. OS.

So will regular black aquarium gravel be ok for the cap?

Do I need to soak my dirt before putting it in my tank?

Back
Top Bottom