Two tanks close to each other

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaela21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have a 20 gallon tank full of happy fish, and two fry that are in a breeding net, and they are doing great. We are considering getting a second tank someday, and was wondering if the two tanks can be close to each other, or should they be far apart? Perhaps I am asking a silly question, but will the fish in tank A try go nuts seeing fish in tank B, and they cannot get over and say hi? Just wondering. Thanks.

Hi shaela21,
I have two 5 gallon tanks, each with a betta. The tanks are arranged in an L-shape on the kitchen counter. The fish can see each other, if they are in the corners of the tanks that are close (about 3 inches) to the other tank. Male bettas like to flare at each other, but after awhile, mine got used to each other. I may catch them flaring once a week -- not very often.

At the hatchery I go to, there are many tanks full of different fish, all next to each other. One tank may have another tank on the left, on the right, and behind it. I don't think any of these fish are stressed from all the other fish. They get used to each other. At most pet stores, tanks are very close together, so they usually get used to other fish before you even get them.

I think you will be ok putting the tanks close together. Watch the fish closely when you first get them, as you would any tank, to make sure things are ok, but I think you'll be fine!

Hi shaela21
Just look in your lfs and that will answer your question, i have 100 tanks and they are all next to each other.

the bridge looks interesting.....well not like i will ever actually do this but if i didnt stock a 30 gal to much could i ahve a 30 connected to a 10 gal? j/w cause it looks pretty cool

You should be able to bridge together any size tanks that you wanted. Though the top water levels would have to be even in height from the ground, likely meaning that the smaller tank would have to be raised for this. On that page it said that the water level in both tanks stays the same, and if one tank is lower than the other, the forces on the water would try to make this so by over filling the lower tank.

Also keep in mind that you might want to have different filtering rates in the two tanks, so you might have to use a weaker filter set across the tanks like on that page with an additional filter just in the larger tank. Or it might be interesting to have a calmer 30 gal tank with a fast moving 10 gal.

Cool idea though.

It looks like a DIY project but the results look far better than any of my attempts at DIY I can tell you!

Back
Top Bottom