Tying java or any plant with mesh or lace... Don't!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amyb_70

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I tjought I'd play it safe and wrap my java moss around a larger rock to keep the moss under control. A huge mistake. I went to feed one of the fish tanks and there it was a poor Oto sucker thing was stuck to the flipping lace. I panicked and cut the lace close to him, he still couldn't free himself. I had to do it for him. I got him free and he swam off. He's breathing heavy right now, it's late and I'm off to bed so I turned the lights out and hope that helps him. I guess I'll find out in the morning. Anyone else have a similar thing happen to them or am I alone on this. Thank you and good night. Hope to get your feedback and hear your experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hey amyb XD been a while.

I have had that happen before and it is a pretty scary experience. Normally I just wedge them in between the rock formation if I am not planting it. After that experience, I refrain from tying plants.

Hi Icydeath, it has been a while. I was so scared and mad when I saw that last night. I watched several videos on how to do this and all the benefits, not one mentioned that the fish could get hurt. I'm nervous to go check on them this morning, I love the oto I have 6 in each tank. ;). Did your fish survive? Idk if you had to literally remove the fish yourself like I did, but that was quite frightening for me. Have a great day.

Superglue works well as I recall

Update: he's not looking well. The top part of his body is now a pale gray and losing the darker spots, his tail fin has lost all the black color and is clear looking. Topping this off with lying on a rock not moving and shallow breathing. I have a feeling I will be saying farewell to one of my fish companions.

Sorry about that. And my fish did make it, hopefully yours will too. I believe some people use hot glue. I don't have experience with that, but I do with superglue which works pretty well.

I use thin fishing line, and leave reasonable gaps in it, it's also quite slippy stuff so ground dwellers don't get caught in it, I used my net once on a peppered Cory, it was very hard to get out........

I use Cotton thread. It will dissolve over time, by then the plant has anchored itself.

Sorry about the Oto :(

My club uses gel superglue. The one they use hardens instantly in water. I would not use any glue that hasn't been proven aquarium safe.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Cotton thread. It will dissolve over time, by then the plant has anchored itself.

Sorry about the Oto :(

My club uses gel superglue. The one they use hardens instantly in water. I would not use any glue that hasn't been proven aquarium safe.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Coursair, luckily my little guy is a fighter. He's still here, I think I'll toss 1/2 a veggie wafer in for him to be sure he eats. The other moss I tied with fish line and no issues. I was checking out ways to keep the java moss nice, and under control with a natural outdoorsy look. After hours of checking the internet I found tying lace, mesh, or fish net stocking over the moss that's attached to the piece was the way to go. So I took a lace shirt, moss and put some moss on the rock covered it with the lace shirt and tied it with a rubber band. The Otos have been on there several times before with no problem. This guy must have just maneuvered just so to get stuck. It was awful I don't want to experience that again. That's what I get for wondering what it would feel like to hold a pet fish.

How long do ya'all think this little Oto can live without eating? He's been in the same spot for 2 days, I put an algae wafer in right next to him, he freaked out and swam off.

He should be fine, there is plenty of stuff on the glass and substrate until he finds the wafer.......

Ricky that's the problem he hasn't been on the glass and only moves when he gets startled. He still is very pale colored, his tail has not regained any black color. I really don't know what to do. I kind of feel I'm making him suffer by starving, yet I'm not experienced enough to know for sure, without any doubt he will die. It just seems to be the only logical thing here. Who knows I may have damaged something or a fish part that is essential for him to live. Omg, this is crazy. I saved one 4 days before this he got stuck in my drop in filter. GRRRRRRRR growl and GRRR

Amyb, It would cause more stress to the little guy to mess with him, the only thing is to break an algae wafer into 4 pieces and drop them round the tank, hope all is well tomorrow, fingers crossed

Thank you Ricky, I did have it broken in a few pieces. I was happy to see him on the glass last night. I certainly don't feel we're out of the woods yet. I think it may take a while, assuming he lives, to recoup from the trauma. I'm sure what happened is very traumatic for a younger or any fish. Just being stuck then having a human handling him. I was gentle as to not squeeze but also panicked because he would not come free. I think every day is better sign, I know how fragile this fish is which is why the concern.

Back
Top Bottom