Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2005, 03:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Type of food?

I have a 55 gallon tank with gouramis, clown loaches, and congo tetras. I am feeding them tropical flakes I got at petsmart. Should I be feeding them something better?

Old 04-04-2005, 04:12 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Felf
i usually feed mine flakes or bio blend, algae wafers every 4 days, freeze dried bloodworms every 4 days (sparingly), floating micro pellets occasionally, frozen tubifex worms every 2 weeks, live daphnia (i think they're daphnia...) whenever there's a bloom. i just bought frozen mysis shrimp, frozen bloodworms (better than the dehydrated), and live brine (just a treat) for puffers but also my other fish. it's good to have a varied diet and too much of any one thing is not good. when i remember i feed them shelled peas, celery, or carrots for constipation eventhough it's not a problem, it's still good for them. there're feeder shrimp in the tank for them to eat if they can catch them and lots of plants to nibble on. i dont think feedings need to be regimented too strictly as long as they're being fed and maybe feeding them certain foods only when you remember might mimic natural conditions :P try to make a combined diet of live, frozen, and freeze dried foods plus the veggies and you cant go wrong

Felf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 02:24 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to Screwylui
so you just dump an arbitrary number of feeder shrimp in there and eventually they all get eaten ? how large are your clowns ? can smaller fish snack on these feeder shrimp?
Old 04-08-2005, 04:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Felf
i dont remember how many i put in there but they were only about 1 cm long...my clowns are about 2 inches and yes smaller fish can eat the feeders if they can catch them since the local ones don't get bigger than an inch but idk about the feeders where you are. i've seen all of my fish eat 3/4" feeders.
Felf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 04:34 AM   #5
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
New Life Spectrum foods are getting some serious coverage lately, and may well be amongst the very best prepared foods available....but I would always combine prepared foods with live and/or frozen foods.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 07:43 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to Essayons89
The Omega One line of foods are pretty good as well.

I feed all of my fish flakes as a staple but mix in frozen foods a few times a week as well. Bloodworms, brine shrimp, krill, plankton, glassworms and mysis shrimp are all on the menu. The discus also get mussel and beefheart. The plecs and cats and loaches also get algae wafers, shrimp pellets and veggies.

A varied diet will go a long way in keeping fish healthy and happy.

Bryan

Tags
food

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com