Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2003, 01:55 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to cdawson
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkidthatlikesfish
well i would recomend Doc Welfish's Aquarium Salt. this is the most popular and best kind around here. i have also read a lot from sites saying it works great if not best. hope that helped
DO NOT USE THIS !!!! This is aquarium salt and has no effect in making your tank "brackish" Do not recommend this for brackish use. It's for treating illness not for synthesizing ocean salt.

Old 07-06-2003, 01:58 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Use instant ocean, it's the most widely used for brackish tanks. It keeps the Ph around 8.3 and buffers the water. Just pre-mix it in a large container before water changes. I use a 32g garbage can w/ a powerhead to constantly mix the salt in the water. I have a 135g brackish, so you don't need to use as big a container unless you'd like to avoid the hassle of doing it everytime your change water.

Old 07-06-2003, 10:49 PM   #13
i3k
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yea thats how I do it...mix it in a 13 gallon bucket when I do my water changes...I have been using InstantOcean ever since I got the tank...but I was just wondering if other types of salt would be better for brackish water tanks...I guess IO is the best out there for brackish tanks.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:35 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can try using others, but generally I've heard it's the best for brackish. There is a thread about this on aquaria central that may prove otherwise. One of the users there had his mono sebaes spawn regularily after he switched to another brand. Monos spawning is VERY rare indeed, however this is no isolated and is usually caused by replicating their natural enviroment very well.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:59 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

The small amounts of IO you would be using would have little if any effect on pH. Furthermore, pH would likely increase whether you used large quantities of IO or FW salt. I used IO for years in reefkeeping. I had problems keeping my pH high enough. It had nothing to do with the salt, it had to do with my house being so "tight". I could open a window and the pH would increase pretty quickly.

Replicating nature is usually best. For example, folks used to advocate keeping lower than natural salinity in SW tanks. They claimed you kept more oxygen, had less problems with ich, ... . The reality is that water with salinity lower than natural natural seawater is often detrimental to invertebrates. Fish can stress too. There is really no reason to keep a SW tank @ a lower salinity than what occurs in nature.

Why not go with what is natural? If brackish water fish live in areas that are brackish due to their proximity to the ocean, why not try to replicate? How can anything different really be better for the fish? JMO

Tags
brackish, salt, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com